Distance to dive sites and surface interval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most retarded thing to do is stay up near San Miguel and travel in the little fast boats. It's a pounding ride, you get sprayed the whole time, soaked when it's raining, burned to a crisp when it's sunny (no sun shade). Then during your surface interval you can rock back forth until you vomit, there's with no room to stretch out, and there's no toilet.
I used to think the worse about the long ride until I stayed at Coral Princess and dove with Pepe Scuba, even a little farther north that Abrigo Marina. Boats getting to sites down south faster than boats of other ops leaving docks much closer to the dive sites. Two weeks of great weather made for easy trips.

I also once did the long taxi ride from the Melia, way up north, down to Pro Dive at the Allegro. Taxi ride was long, but, like Dressel, the boat rides were short with the surface interval back on shore.

Are there ops that also have shorter distances to the dive sites and also have surface intervals back on the island?
You already have experienced the shortest distances. Dive ops that leave Marina Fonatur would probably be next. With the exception of the dive op already mentioned, you would have to get your own transportation to marina - this is common. From Palmar, the taxi ride wouldn't be more than $5.

From Palmar, there are several dive ops within walking distance and with their own piers. Boat sizes vary and the time on a boat to dive sites could be somewhere between 15-30 min. Having another op pick you up at a southern resort could limit the chance of going back into shore for the surface stop. Following is a spreadsheet with dive op info including their locations.

Dive ops by jonhall

A possible option could be doing a single tank afternoon dive with an op (with fast boats) closer to where you stay. Limits your time on the water.

During the warmer months, the longer boat rides are not a big deal. During the winter, the longer exposure to the wind and cooler water temps seem to suck my energy and take longer to rebound.
Some operators provide boat coats for that.

I used to think the worse about the long ride until I stayed at Coral Princess and dove with Pepe Scuba, even a little farther north that Abrigo Marina.
Ah! Old memories! I did that for my first few years of diving. I loved the Coral Princess. Fantastic happy hour drinks!

The most retarded thing to do is stay up near San Miguel and travel in the little fast boats. It's a pounding ride, you get sprayed the whole time, soaked when it's raining, burned to a crisp when it's sunny (no sun shade). Then during your surface interval you can rock back forth until you vomit, there's with no room to stretch out, and there's no toilet.

We've stayed at Scuba Club dozens of times. The large boats are slow, but if you're in a hurry please stay home.
Wow. You stay home, why doncha? :D

Reactions: jmb
I used to think the worse about the long ride until I stayed at Coral Princess and dove with Pepe Scuba, even a little farther north that Abrigo Marina. Boats getting to sites down south faster than boats of other ops leaving docks much closer to the dive sites. Two weeks of great weather made for easy trips.

I also once did the long taxi ride from the Melia, way up north, down to Pro Dive at the Allegro. Taxi ride was long, but, like Dressel, the boat rides were short with the surface interval back on shore.

You already have experienced the shortest distances. Dive ops that leave Marina Fonatur would probably be next. With the exception of the dive op already mentioned, you would have to get your own transportation to marina - this is common. From Palmar, the taxi ride wouldn't be more than $5.

From Palmar, there are several dive ops within walking distance and with their own piers. Boat sizes vary and the time on a boat to dive sites could be somewhere between 15-30 min. Having another op pick you up at a southern resort could limit the chance of going back into shore for the surface stop. Following is a spreadsheet with dive op info including their locations.

Dive ops by jonhall

A possible option could be doing a single tank afternoon dive with an op (with fast boats) closer to where you stay. Limits your time on the water.
Thanks for putting together this spreadsheet. It is very useful.

We've stayed at Scuba Club dozens of times. The large boats are slow, but if you're in a hurry please stay home. I stretch out on the roof with a dozen other people and sleep all the way to the dive site. During the surface interval the larger boats are stable. On the way back to the resort, I take a shower on the boat, stretch out, and sleep some more.

We stayed a Fiesta Americana many times. The trip to the southern reefs is quite short. But the beach side of FA was closed, don't know if it's re-opened.
I have been diving here every year for about the last 20 years, bar covid. I live in town. I heartily disagree with you. Most dive boats have sun shade. I have never vomited on a dive trip south or north. In all that time, I can count on maybe two hands (and have well over 1000 dives here) the rough boat rides I have had (usually when returning after weather has turned, since you can't go out when it's too rough and the port has already closed).

I enjoy the ride on a fast boat. It's part of the fun of Cozumel. To each their own I suppose. I have found staying too far south and you could end up missing some of the sites because they don't want to go too far south only to then turn around and head back north (and then south again to drop you off). Too much fuel/time though I know there are those that do it sometimes. So I personally prefer to stay closer to town, ride on the fast boats, while enjoying the scenery and ride, get to dive the best sites, etc. There are some great dive operations in Cozumel. I like ScubaLuis. Great service, boats, and good people.

I enjoy the ride on a fast boat. It's part of the fun of Cozumel. To each their own I suppose. I have found staying too far south and you could end up missing some of the sites because they don't want to go too far south only to then turn around and head back north (and then south again to drop you off). Too much fuel/time though I know there are those that do it sometimes. So I personally prefer to stay closer to town, ride on the fast boats, while enjoying the scenery and ride, get to dive the best sites, etc. There are some great dive operations in Cozumel. I like ScubaLuis. Great service, boats, and good people.
I agree with you 100%. As you mentioned some of the Dive Ops will do the South-North-South thing or something similar when requested by their guests. I try to account for how my request may affect the dive op and wish more guest would do the same. Most of us on SB have made friends with our dive op and they generally jump through hoops to accommodate any request (I've experienced some doosies!). They work on minimal profit margin and yes they will take requests that is sometimes detrimental to their business. In the long game they will have to compensate for that somehow. Ultimately it will drive up costs &/or may strain 'friendships' that have developed. Just my 2 cents.

I try to account for how my request may affect the dive op and wish more guest would do the same.
Yes!!
Our op has taken just the two of us out for our customary afternoon dives. There are lots of choices close-in. Most regulars are aware that the same reef on two different days can be a completely different experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom