Dissolving canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I saw was 50 or so holes in the deck of the M/V Spree. A RB diver spilled a whole cannister of sorb under a bench and did not clean it up or tell anyone. The owner/Capt took me down in the Engine room and showed it to me from underneath. It was not a pretty sight. It's people like this that cause the rest of us problems.
Bill

silent running:
Mr.X:
I'm bored back in civilization. :D Just got back from several weeks of expedition. While unpacking my freight delivered Meg. I noticed that some neoprene pieces packed with the lot had not dried and began to dissolve away some minor bits of the ally canister! Bummer! I'd seen wet sorb completely eat away a Meg, but was surprised at how vicious the acids were to the exterior anodized finish. Acids + al.= bad. QUOTE]

Hi Mr. X, where you expeditioning? Never thought about the wet sorb/aly incompatability as my unit is all plastic. Why did the Meg owner let the wet sorb sit in the canister until it got completely eaten away?-Andy

Hi Andy. Plastic certainly has advantages..especially with regards to corrosion. Even with some minor pitting on the exterior I have to admit I like the feel and weight of a metal protective can. That being said I have noticed some teeny scrubber lines etched into my Classic Kiss can. - abrasion when stuffing the thing. :D

As per expedition...we were in the wilds looking for a very old military ship. I wish I could say where. Stating where would give up my imagined anonymity here on Scubaboard though. We came close and will have to wait till next year until the weather gives us a break and more time to refit.

Scrubber is painful stuff. I can just imagine the deck of that boat. I was moving some wet sof. the other day and had some microcuts on my hand. It stung more than usual, but maybe I was being psychosomatic? :eyebrow: As Joe mentioned, the accessibility to Meg. unit was limited. It sat wet with a slurry of wet scrubber for a prolonged period of time.

X

What do you expect from someone who watches Dr Phil and Oprah. Those tabloid trash shows are for the brain dead or those with a few remaining brain cells.

I would get rid of her and trade her in for a woman that likes men, then go buy a new CCR to celebrate.

Well, some women would have the same reaction, but because they don't approve of rebreathers . . . :D

Just because some women don't like rebreathers does not justify her being abusive towards her husband. There is no excuse for domestic abuse.

Plastic is a superior material for scrubbers do to its thermal stability and insulating properties. It just needs to be engineered properly.

Remember, weight doesn't always equate to quality, just look at F-18 stabilator skins made of plastic.

RebreatherSuperHero:
Just because some women don't like rebreathers does not justify her being abusive towards her husband. There is no excuse for domestic abuse.

Plastic is a superior material for scrubbers do to its thermal stability and insulating properties. It just needs to be engineered properly.

Remember, weight doesn't always equate to quality, just look at F-18 stabilator skins made of plastic.

I appreciate your defense. :D However, the wife also bought me my first rebreather. A birthday gift many years ago. She actually supports and advocates all my Rb activities!

I was just making light of the fact that shows like Oprah, or Dr. Phil tend to generate some degree of female "angst". Just don't walk in when they are talking about abusive husbands, gigolos, or male perfectionists. Worst yet, don't walk in if it's a group view / share of these shows. Go through the back door to get the sandwich.

X & Out - probably soon to be gutted like a fish by the ladies!

If your scrubber damage involved contact with wet sorb I'd guess it's a caustic reaction not acidic. (Caustic cocktails etc.)

Strong caustics attack AL really well, even anodized AL. In fact if you want to strip an anodized part, for example prior to welding or reanodizing, a little Lye and water does the trick, just don't leave the part in solution too long or it disappears......

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
If your scrubber damage involved contact with wet sorb I'd guess it's a caustic reaction not acidic. (Caustic cocktails etc.)

Strong caustics attack AL really well, even anodized AL. In fact if you want to strip an anodized part, for example prior to welding or reanodizing, a little Lye and water does the trick, just don't leave the part in solution too long or it disappears......

Tobin

Thanks! :) In this case, the scrubber was not in direct contact with the sorb. Rather, contact with wet neoprene. The neoprene bits were rinsed in fresh water prior to packing, but probably retained some degree of moisture as they traveled about cushioning the meg scrubber during the height of a humid summer.

Hmmm. I wonder how basic the neoprene bits became? Troubling to think that something so massive and chunky like the Meg scrubber is affected by something so seemingly benign!

Sounds like an episode for Oprah - benign housewives who are actually scrubbers (UK term)!

X and out

cool_hardware52:

Tobin

Oven cleaner works well also.

If your wife supports your rebreathing activities you must have a nice insurance policy...LOL

That is a joke ofcourse...I'm trying to save someone a long hard typed rant about rebreathers and safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom