Dissolving canister

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm bored back in civilization. :D Just got back from several weeks of expedition. While unpacking my freight delivered Meg. I noticed that some neoprene pieces packed with the lot had not dried and began to dissolve away some minor bits of the ally canister! Bummer! I'd seen wet sorb completely eat away a Meg, but was surprised at how vicious the acids were to the exterior anodized finish. Acids + al.= bad.

As I'm quietly cleaning the canister in the TV room (the wife is watching Oprah/Dr. Phil - they are the same program IMO) I ask the wife (in a friendly, rhetorical manner) "so what should I do with the can"? She replies "bang it on your private parts"! Geez. Do rebreathers cause such ire? Is being in the proximity of a female show dangerous? :eyebrow:

:lol: Better the can's rusty than you. :11:

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I think there should be a special Oprah show devoted to what happens to guys when they devote their time to other pursuits rather than their "women's".

Like animal when they are feeding, it can be dangerous to interrupt their TV shows...:wink:

Yes, hyperspousia is a condition not to be taken easy! :shakehead

Mr.X:
I'm bored back in civilization. :D Just got back from several weeks of expedition. While unpacking my freight delivered Meg. I noticed that some neoprene pieces packed with the lot had not dried and began to dissolve away some minor bits of the ally canister! Bummer! I'd seen wet sorb completely eat away a Meg, but was surprised at how vicious the acids were to the exterior anodized finish. Acids + al.= bad.

As I'm quietly cleaning the canister in the TV room (the wife is watching Oprah/Dr. Phil - they are the same program IMO) I ask the wife (in a friendly, rhetorical manner) "so what should I do with the can"? She replies "bang it on your private parts"! Geez. Do rebreathers cause such ire? Is being in the proximity of a female show dangerous? :eyebrow:

Thanks for the post. I quite enjoyed it. I liked the statement about sorb eating away a meg. I had someone telling me sorb would not burn a hole in an aliminum boat deck. It can and does happen. Ask Wookie owner of the M/V Spree.
YBOD Pilot;
Bill

Mr.X:
I'm bored back in civilization. :D Just got back from several weeks of expedition. While unpacking my freight delivered Meg. I noticed that some neoprene pieces packed with the lot had not dried and began to dissolve away some minor bits of the ally canister! Bummer! I'd seen wet sorb completely eat away a Meg, but was surprised at how vicious the acids were to the exterior anodized finish. Acids + al.= bad. QUOTE]

Hi Mr. X, where you expeditioning? Never thought about the wet sorb/aly incompatability as my unit is all plastic. Why did the Meg owner let the wet sorb sit in the canister until it got completely eaten away?-Andy

silent running:
Mr.X:
I'm bored back in civilization. :D Just got back from several weeks of expedition. While unpacking my freight delivered Meg. I noticed that some neoprene pieces packed with the lot had not dried and began to dissolve away some minor bits of the ally canister! Bummer! I'd seen wet sorb completely eat away a Meg, but was surprised at how vicious the acids were to the exterior anodized finish. Acids + al.= bad. QUOTE]

Hi Mr. X, where you expeditioning? Never thought about the wet sorb/aly incompatability as my unit is all plastic. Why did the Meg owner let the wet sorb sit in the canister until it got completely eaten away?-Andy

the flooded cannister sat for 2 months or so... lets just say that access to the unit was limited..

rigdiver:
Thanks for the post. I quite enjoyed it. I liked the statement about sorb eating away a meg. I had someone telling me sorb would not burn a hole in an aliminum boat deck. It can and does happen. Ask Wookie owner of the M/V Spree.
YBOD Pilot;
Bill

What type of effect sorb will have depends on alot of things.. first being is it new or used (used is inert) and is it wet or dry.. Sorb by itself won't do anything, if it dissolves in a liquid thats another issue... A flooded cannister is going to create a highly concentrated liquid which will have an entirely different effect than dry sorb just laying there.. Also the type of AL alloy will also determine how badly its effected by the chemical reaction..

Back
Top Bottom