disposable cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but you have to have an Ikelite housing for them, the regular waterproof kind won't stand up to the pressure of more than abut 10 feet.

I've used the type rated to 75 feet. Works OK, except that the battery on the flash died. They are a little grainy, but, for 20 bucks, gave me a few pics.

You can look here for a sampling of the shots I took. It was last summer at Santa Barbara Is. I was at 30 feet, with about 50 foot viz. I had the photo CD inluded when I developed the shot (cost $2 more ;-) ), so the pictures are fairly low res.

Sea Lions

Where cn you get disposible underwater cameras with a flash? I can't find any, and I like to have these when i go dry caving so I won't mess up my good camera.

I found it a my local LDS about a year ago. It was either $20 or $25, good to 75feet, fixed focus, ASA400 film, and a built in flash. Kodak branded. I just checked the Kodak web site, and it doesn't look like it's carried anymore. They have a 50foot version, without a flash now.

I also checked the Divers Discount site, and they have what looks identical, for $19.95. See the "PTL Snap Sights...." camera. Says it's rated to 45 feet, 27 exposure with flash. ASA 400 film.

If you use one with a built in flash expect to get tons of backscatter. So much so that unless the water is crystal clear you won't be able to tell what's in the photo. A couple of things can help. Get below your subject. I will actually put my finger in front of the flash to difuse the light a bit and that seems to help. If the water is shallow and you have good sunlight you may be able to do without the flash completly in which case you'll completley cover the flash with your finger.

I've used kodak disposable weekend water proof cameras and taken them down to 100 feet without any problem... except that about 20 feet the water pressure held down the shutter button, taking a random picture and renderingg the camera useless below that depth.

I was hoping to pick up a little disposable camera for a trip to Santa Barbara island.

I want to get an underwater camera but I am stuck on the film vs digital debate and can't decide.

On the options you have for U/W photo setups:

Minimum price, minimal control: disposable cameras and cheap underwater 35mm point and shoots.

Maximum quality: interchangable lens 35mm with manual exposure and manual focus control (either U/W native cameras like the Nikonos V or a housed surface SLR) (results are worlds better quality than any disposabl)

Maximum convencience and ease of use: housed digital cameras (results are worlds better quality than any disposabl)

Dipsosables suck because you will be using high speed color print film without any real exposure control using a fixed focus 1 element molded plastic lens. If it has a flash it is going to give bad backscatter because the flash will be so close to the lens. These cameras are pretty much useless except for vacationing snorkelers. Even a 35mm UW point and shoot like Sea & Sea or Motor Marine will allow you to use a slow speed color print film, black and white, or slide film (though the exposure systems are usually not good enough for good results from slide film). That at least affords you *some* sort of control.

If you really want to do UW photography, shell out $$$ (at least $500 if you are smart about it on ebay) and buy a camera camera(/housing), whether it is digital or film rig.

If you are questioning whether you want to do U/W photography, rent a camera rig. Lots of shops will rent Nikonos V. See if U/W photography really grabs you.

These were taken with the Aquashot I & II which use the little Fuji/Kodak disposable cameras. I did have the AQ/S strobe to help with backscatter. I've taken this setup down to 145' (Blue Hole Belize).

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=223653

Just last week I went digital, but havent tried it out except for in the swimming pool. I'm going to try diving off of Isla Mujeres in a couple weeks and am only taking the digital setup. We'll see how it goes.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=311551

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom