Displaying your pictures with a DiFF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
1011159522.jpg

Getting the pictures out of the box (computer hard drive) and into a digital photo frame is one of the best ways of sharing them visitors to your home but not necessarily your office... more on that later.

This is the DiFF I use.
I've had several but the MemoryVue 1040 has been the hands down winner for me. It might not be available anymore.. mine is several years old.

Displaying photos with a DiFF is dynamic rather than static... or at least it can be. When you hang prints on the wall they don't change into another picture before your viewers eyes. A DiFF allows you to have an ever changing slide show. This is both a feature and a problem.

I find that visitors will sit and stare at my DiFF for several cycles through the slide show. This can keep them busy and out of your way while you finish cooking... especially if you have 300+ images in your slide show.

However in an office setting it can be a real distraction and you end up competing for attention. Not good. Better to have static prints on your office wall.

Getting the pictures out of the box and onto the digital photoframe is an activity that can make or break the experience for viewer and photographer as well.

Next post~

In another thread here I mentioned DAM ~ digital asset management. A good DAM will not only help you organize your photos but it will make exporting them as a slide show very easy.

I use Lightroom 2 as my DAM as well as my photo developer and web gallery utility. I am going to start using it to make my digital photoframe easier to manage.

Up to this point I have not been using Lightroom for my slide shows.

I have a slide show of 300+ photos on an SD card plugged into the DiFF. It took quite a bit of work to put it together using Photoshop for developing, resizing, color space assignment, saving to disk, ect.

For example: even a 5mb camera will produce a ~2.3mb jpg file. Just dumping that straight to the DiFF will mean that the photo frame engine needs to resize the image for the screen and memory is wasted. Not very efficient.

So... I would do all of the resizing and color assignment in Photoshop to the 600x800 dimension of my particular photoframe. This took time for each image.

I would also use a Photoshop plug in called Topaz Adjust to give the photos that extra kick that makes them (IMO) more interesting on such a small screen. This took even more time per image ~
but the results kept my visitors glued to the photo frame. :D

astoriafisherman.jpg

I'm just getting around to using the powerful editing features of Lightroom. I'm visiting Photoshop less and less with my images. Lightroom is faster!

Rather that take a picture out of my Lightroom database and edit it in Photoshop I can make changes to the image right inside Lightroom that are not only quick and easy but are non-destructive: I still have my original image.

Before: SOOC (straight out of camera) ~
Come_with_me_before-7908.jpg

After: a few slider adjustments in Lightroom ~
Come_with_me_.jpg

With the slide show feature of Lightroom I will be able to apply preset adjustments to whole batches of photos, resize them all at the same time and export them as a slide show optimized with color and sharpening for the photo frame I'm using.

It is going to make my life much easier and my guests will have new slideshows to mesmerize them! (Two years is too long to run the same slide show.)

will anyone even notice the bubbles

Awesome pic, Ron ... but can LR fix that leak in your backup hose?

:D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom