Disney's Dive Quest Report....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember going to the living seas thing back in 1996 when I was a kid, big aquarium or whatever, and I remember seeing the diver in the lock chamber (didn't know what it was at the time) and I do recall seeing divers, some that looked like kids and I had always wanted to do it, just didn't know how but i'm glad I found this thread because now once I get certified, I will have to try this out.

I am a newbie but was wondering if there is any threat with the sharks in there? What do the waivers generally cover?

When I did my divequest training, I told the guide that I would pay double the fee if they let me in the tube. The guy laughed and mentioned that "riding" in the tube was much more complex than it looked and that you had to be certified as a technical diver to do it even as a staff member. I don't know why it looks pretty simple to me. I mentioned, they should offer a second level of Divequest, I would sign up for sure.

I did DiveQuest this past April. The marine life is great! The sharks, turtles, rays and fish are all around you. You can get really really close. Most of the dive I was less than 5 feet from a shark or turtle, and the rays just fly by your head. The best part of the dive was goofing off for your friends and family who can watch from The Living Seas exhibit or go down to the restaurant window and show off for the diners. There is a barrier that separates the main tank from the dolphins. If you stare at the bubbling wall you can see the dolphins on the other side but watch out for the sharks circling below you. As for the goodies you get, I got a t-shirt and a button that say DiveQuest.

I did the Dive Quest dive on June 10th. I thought it was well worth the money. I had what I was told was a unique experience while there. One of the sand tigers whacked me in the back with its tail. Some of the guys nearby said they could feel it also. I didn't even see the shark coming. I was on the bottom and I guess I got in his way. It was captured on video but they cut just as the shark approached. It felt like someone kicked me in the rear. I didn't know what had happened until I exited the water and the guys who witnessed it told me about it.

I did the Dive Quest dive on June 10th. I thought it was well worth the money. I had what I was told was a unique experience while there. One of the sand tigers whacked me in the back with its tail. Some of the guys nearby said they could feel it also. I didn't even see the shark coming. I was on the bottom and I guess I got in his way. It was captured on video but they cut just as the shark approached. It felt like someone kicked me in the rear. I didn't know what had happened until I exited the water and the guys who witnessed it told me about it.

Here is a picture just before the shark whacked me. You can see he was coming toward me and I was looking the other way.

Meandtheshark.jpg

But, what about the dolphins? When I was there a few years ago for my encounter, they had separated the dolphins into their own penned in area. Told us that they were too aggressive to play in the big pool.
We were told the dolphins would come up under the rays and toss them like pizzas.

Here is a picture just before the shark whacked me. You can see he was coming toward me and I was looking the other way.
I made the mistake of coming around a corner and being face to face with three of the sharks coming at me. Not wanting to make any sudden movements, I took a deep breath and began rising as quickly as possible to get out of their way. One of their fins brushed my inner thigh as one of the sharks went right between my legs. Talk about nervous! :jaws:

I've done this twice. It is one of the best dives I've done. However, it spoiled my wife so bad this is the only dive she wants to do now!

We're all set to go! I have our masks out and de-fogged - hopefully... We can't wait!! woot!

So glad to hear it is a good one -- I've always heard it was something you should do at least once. Living close to the Keys, we're a bit spoiled -- but this should be cool...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom