Discovery!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencer!,,, heres the deal, I will give you 20$ in cold cash for the 4th one in the pictures. I know, i'm crazy for being so generous, but that's how I am. .......Better yet, I'll go nuts, and spring 100$ on everything you have there. Deal ???? :)

You're too late. Someone already offered to be my friend for life:wink:
I'm not planning on selling, but I did get a pretty serious offer for that reg and at least now I have an idea of the value. I just know now, to be extra careful with it:wink:
I really want to dive some of this equipment, the double hose is impossible to resist...

DAMN....Friend for life, Never thought of that one! Tht reg is definately one to wall hang, and be damn proud you have it. All of them are fine pieces, and with luck you can find the parts to reuild and use them. If not, go get a good solid double fom Bryan, and join in the fun!

Spencer,

You have some very nice regulators there. I would post on Vintage Double Hose, but Bryan disliked some of what I said in various forums several years ago, and banned me from his site.

Anyway, the Sportsways double hose is either a Hydro Twin or a Dual Air. The Dual Air has an unbalanced first stage, and upstream, tilt valve for the second stage. You can tell the Dual Air by the use of an overpressure relief valve on the first stage. It will screw into the low pressure port, and look like it has components in it (it has an Allen wrench screw in the top, and two vent holes off to the side).

The Hydro Twin is a balanced first stage, and a downstream second stage. It is a wonderful regulator. From what I see of the photo, this is probably the regulator that you have, but I cannot see whether it has a simple Low Pressure (LP) plug or a pressure relief valve on the LP port.

The other port is a HP, or high pressure, port for a submersible pressure guage (SPG). You could use the one that is on the Calypso regulator (the red-faced U.S. Divers regulator) on the Sportsways double hose regulator if you wished.

I have a Hydro Twin, and it is a wonderful regulator. It breaths well, and has a mushroom valve for the exhaust in the case. The USD double hose regulators have a duckbill exhaust valve, which is harder to maintain. I use my Hydro Twin on 3000 psi systems, without problems. But it was not designed for that pressure, as most systems at that time were designed to 2475 psi. You should have no problem putting it on a tank and test breathing off it. But before doing that, I'd take the hoses and mouthpiece off, and wash them out inside with a bottle brush and a anti-bacterial soap. Then, when you put them back on, you should adjust the mouthpiece so that when the regulator is flat on its face, the mouthpiece points straight back at the case on a flat surface. Alternatively, you can adjust the mouthpiece so that it balances horizontally on your fingertip with the regulator in the vertical position, and the mouthpiece about four inches above the regulator.

Here are a couple of websites where we discuss wearing the double hose regulator:

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/...ay&board=instruction&thread=1149649592&page=1

http://vintagescuba.proboards2.com/index.cgi?board=instruction&action=display&thread=1071971414

I will be diving my Hydro Twin tomorrow, in the Clackamas River.

John

Hi Spencer,

Like John (SeaRat), I have also been banned from VDH. Why don't you sign up on the VintageScubaSupply.com forum? It, too, is a great group of vintage divers and collectors (quite a bit of overlap with the VDH membership), and the owners/moderators are really fine folks.

If I were you, I wouldn't let anyone TOUCH that Demone! It looks beautiful as it is and should just be kept in a hermetically sealed, UV-proof glass case!
Nice regulators, all. You have some fine family heirlooms there of which you can be very proud.

Welcome to the vintage ohana.

Very cool stuff Spencer!

Don't forget to apply for your NAVED card after your first dive :wink:

John C. Ratliff:
Spencer,

Anyway, the Sportsways double hose is either a Hydro Twin or a Dual Air. The Dual Air has an unbalanced first stage, and upstream, tilt valve for the second stage. You can tell the Dual Air by the use of an overpressure relief valve on the first stage. It will screw into the low pressure port, and look like it has components in it (it has an Allen wrench screw in the top, and two vent holes off to the side).

The Hydro Twin is a balanced first stage, and a downstream second stage. It is a wonderful regulator. From what I see of the photo, this is probably the regulator that you have, but I cannot see whether it has a simple Low Pressure (LP) plug or a pressure relief valve on the LP port.

John

Hi John

I just rebuilt a Sportways regulator that looks identical to those, but it has an unbalanced first stage (same as the Dual Air) and a down stream second stage.
Do you know which model regulator was this one?
It was a relabeled "New England Divers" regulator, so the label had no useful information.

Thanks

Luis,

That is interesting. I'm not sure that Sportsways ever offered that under its lable. But there is a lack of information. The Second Edition of Basic Scuba by Fred Roberts does not cover that era after the Dual Air. I do know that I was pleasantly surprised when I picked up the Hydro Twin for $20 in a guy's garage (not a sale--I offered when I was visiting), and found out it was a balanced first stage and downstream second stage.

I dove my Hydro Twin today, and had a very good dive with it. I also used the Dacor Nautilus with it successfully. I put the home-made second stage on the Nautilus, and that was not as successful, but better than my first trials. I had 6 pounds in the Hautilus weight chamber, and it unbalanced the unit slightly (front higher) so I have to rethink that.

Anyway, the Hydro Twin is a very nice regulator, with one LP port and one HP port. The one thing different that I see in the photo from mine is that the yolk screw on mine is not a "T," but a round and very heavy disk.

John

signed up for that forum too:wink:
thanks for the information everyone! I can't wait to get these regs wet:)

Spencer

Back
Top Bottom