discouraged...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smash731:
I had a bad experience for my OW...lips froze after 45 min at 40 degrees in 5 foot vis...I started breathing in water and the DM took me up from 40 feet. And promptly got a speech about "fixing problems underwater", although I'm not sure what I could have done to stay warmer
Which shop was this with? If you don't want to post it publically would you mind sending me a PM?

smash731:
Thanks everyone:)

So the consensus seems to be
warm water
good vis
better-fitting stuff.

I can fix the first two by not diving in the quarry.
Try Lake Rawlings, it's probably in the upper 60's or lower 70s down to 40 ft this time of year and the bottom is some sort of gravel like stuff so the vizibiltiy is -much- better then the other quarries around.

bgi:
Ok, so let's take a poll. Who wants to dive in 48deg water with 2 foot vis? Anyone? Is that fun?

Yup it can be.

Ok. I got it. It can be fun in 48deg with 2-foot vis. FOR SOME PEOPLE!!! :11: :icon28: :icon10: :shocked: :wazzup:

:wink:

Concentrate on the smaller detail right in front of you that you miss in good vis, if its a rummage dive you are looking for artifacts or something else. Its also a good way to improve skills.

For a lot of people too its all theyve got.

smash731:
Hi all,

Question for divers out there who have had "anxiety" problems...

Is it possible to overcome this?

I had a bad experience for my OW...lips froze after 45 min at 40 degrees in 5 foot vis...I started breathing in water and the DM took me up from 40 feet. And promptly got a speech about "fixing problems underwater", although I'm not sure what I could have done to stay warmer- my rental suit didn't fit well. Anyway, I've done 10 dives since then, each time practicing skills on the platform to get more comfortable and staying relatively shallow. I feel like I'm getting more comfortable, but the OW thing still haunts me.

One of my very experienced buddies commented that there are those who were born to dive, and those who were not. This hit me kind of hard. I'm clearly a "not", but I want to work through it b/c I'm a grad student in ocean engineering and diving will likely be a part of my career. Sooo......is it possible to get over the anxiety??? I want to be a good diver so badly, but I don't want to keep beating my head against a brick wall if I'm just not born to dive.

thanks for all input.
smash :)

It is okay to be anxious. My wife decided she wanted to get certified and dive when we went to Hawaii in 2002. I like to swim, but never have been that strong at it. I HATE getting water in my eyes. But, she wanted to do this, so we signed up for classes. There were two dive shops in town that we knew about and after talking to them both, it came down to a coin toss. We went and got some of the standard equipment, fins, mask, etc. and went to class. The instructor was nice and we got through the book stuff pretty easily. I was still anxious, though. I felt more concerned for her and watching out for her safety that I was not paying as much attention to my skills and needs; I fell behind in the confined dives. The instructor, while he seemed fine and is really a nice guy outside the water, turns rather, well, militaristic and firm inside the water. It drove my anxiety levels up even further. There were skills I could not master, like swapping the snorkel for the regulator and back. And, the more he pushed, the harder it got. Sure, given free time to swim in the deep end, I was fine. There was no pressure (other than the water). I was good at keeping myself neutrally buoyant. But, if the seal on my mask broke, or if I got water in my mouth or nose, I panicked and popped to the surface. I was so far behind that I was considering paying for some private time to catch up. My wife? She made it through her skills no problem. When it came time for us to go to Hawaii, she had her recommendation and I had most of my skills signed off on. But, on the flight there, I started to get a pain in my ear. Yep, an ear infection; there would be no diving for us. I was not complaining though as rained A LOT while we were there and according to the local dive shops, the viz was lousy.

That was then, 2002. We snorkel some, but we are planning another trip, a cruise and my wife wants to dive again. Back then, I found out that mouth breathers sometimes have trouble diving. The first regulator I used made me feel like I was breathing through a straw. On my last confined dive, I was able to get an adjustable regulator and it made a world of difference. So, this time, my wife decided that she would get us some equipment, like a regulator and such. We decided to give the other shop a try; not because of the instructor (who is still in the other shop), but because they had a Saturday (all day) class (for three weeks). The instructor is different in his personality, more laid back yet still firm. The class is smaller too. I’ve completed my confined pool sessions and now am ready for the open water sessions this weekend. I still feel anxious, but it is something I am controlling. I have learned that the fear and panic that I feel when something goes wrong under water does not have to be a bad thing, but that I can stop and think and solve the problem without popping to the surface. The fact that my closest air supply is not up there, but on my back is getting more in my mind.

So, open water dives are this weekend, wish us luck.

Peace,

Bear

airsix:
Oohhh!!! That comment just makes me want to POP the arogant POS right in the nose. There are NOT people born to do or not to do ANYTHING! Some things are easier for some, but that doesn't mean the rest can't do them just as well with a little work. Aptitude only gets you part way. How bad you want it determines sucess or failure, NOT aptitude.
You can ABSOLUTELY get past this. In fact, if you go forward with determination you can and WILL become a better diver than your "buddy" who was "born to dive". It may take some resolve to face your aprehension, but if you do that and keep practicing you will be amazed at what you acomplish. One of the most rewarding feelings in life is to reach the point where you find pleasure in something you once feared. Do not give up! The reward for sticking it out is too great.

-Ben

Although I'm new to diving, I wasn't "born to anything" save sleeping. I felt the all-too-familiar apprehension while in the pool and OW. But Ben is right practice and concentration goes a long way to doing anything.

toodive4:
Anxiety is a problem if it is left untreated. There are many levels of anxiety from Mild to Severe - which may require medication. Since I'm not a doctor and have no idea where you fall in that spectrum I can not offer you final solutions... but...

... as a Scuba Instructor I can tell you that I have trained many people including some who took my class to overcome their fear of water. That's right - people who wouldn't even get into a swimming pool are now diving under my tutelage. I'm not blowing my own horn... as this can be accomplished with any Instructor willing to take the time to work with you.

My question is can you identify the cause of your anxiety? Was it the cold? Was it the low visibility,? was it fear of completing a particular skill such as mask removal? or was it some combination of all of the above? Your comment about the Instructor "lecturing" you about handling problems is an improper approach that would only add to your anxiety. It sounds to me like your instructor needs some lessons of his own. Some divers are ready for open water after 5 classes - some 15. A good Instructor at a reputable shop will take whatever time is needed to get you where you need to be. While they do this, it is not unreasonable for them to ask for additional compensation for their time, but it shouldn't cost you a fortune.

I have not yet met a person who couldn't overcome their anxiety issues by working with an Instructor that genuinely cared about their students success. I'm in MD, so if you are nearby, feel free to contatc me... if not, I'd suggest seeking out a more understanding Instructor that is knowledgable in dealing with anxiety issues in diving.

Ken Barrick,
SSI AOWI

After reading all these posts I realize I had a bad instructor. On my first 3 dives...the first one I couldn't go down cause I guess I got nervous and sea sick and ended up barfing in the water. She insisted I go down anyway. I almost had to cry to convince her I didn't want to go down cause I was feeling so sick.
Second dive... I started going down and I had trouble with my ears... one hand on the rope, the other one on the BC hose...how was I suppossed to equilize? I can only do it covering my nose and blowing. I hadn't gone down more than 5 feet, when she had me go up again and told me that if I took too long she would have to leave me to go back to the ship, and left me with an assistant! I couldn't equilize, I was nervous, anxious, frustrated and hurried. Went back up. Third dive... I didn't even try. I swim like a fish, I love water... I have most of my own gear already. I'm trying the first 3 dives again next Sunday... I don't know who my instructor will be... is that bad? I hope I don't get the same one... Any advice about what to do if I get another sucky instructor???

Read my journal.

It is possible to panic, get hypothermic, get disoriented, get lost . . . and still get hooked.

I didn't even particularly want to DO this when I started. It was a husband-unit initiated endeavor.

I am so hooked now (20 dives) that I was in the LDS talking about canister lights.

Yes, you can get past your anxiety . . . once you get it right, probably just once, you will be so addicted that the bad stuff will just float off into distant memory. And then you'll go to Maui and you will beyond hope.

smash731,

It's clear they you want to make diving part of your life. It's also clear that your first instructor(2) who prepared you and took you to open water were idiots. There is no reason to be on a boat, sick and abused for your first certificaion dives or any of them for that matter. It can all be done from a nice beach and none of it is a race.

Now to your next atempt. I urge you to identify your intructor, spend time with him or her before commiting to anything. Talk about your prior experience and get comfortable that this is the person that will work with you to get the past behind you.

If you are not comfortable go find another shop.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom