Disassembling the plastic cover of the Suunto SK-5/SK-6 compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adr1an

Contributor
Reaction score
Suunto 1.jpg
Suunto2.jpg
Suunto 1.jpg Suunto2.jpg I have this compass (bought with a lot of different other gear) and it is somehow "lazy" (as in needs to be tilted a bit to go towards north). It may be set on a different zone (being old enough to be from the 5 zones era) but my guess is that the needle just lost a bit of it's magnetic properties.
Therefore I'm looking to get it out of it's plastic case so I can tape a rare earth magnet on the side of the module overnight and hope for the best.
Anyone knows how to take apart this type of case without breaking it? (the grey plastic part I mean) The base won't just unscrew, at least not by using "reasonable" force. Thanks in advance for your help.

IIRC, it is a liquid filled and sealed case, so if yours is dry, it might explain some of the problem.

Not really intended to be opened..

I am talking about the grey case (that helps the module sit inside the boot) not about the module itself. The sealed case you're talking about is transparent and sits inside this grey plastic case. This is how the module itself looks like (for the current model, the SK-8).

Attachments

• SK8module.jpg
    SK8module.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 88
I thought it may be totally empty but it sinks even after I removed it from the rubber boot. It also has a certain slowness when tilting the card which makes me believe it still has the oil inside.
If it's empty that would be an easy fix after I take it from the grey case. (hot needle makes small hole, fill with syringe, patch hole with silicone/epoxy)​

In case someone else runs into the same problem: the compass had no physical damage and was still filled with oil. The problem was sorted out by re-magnetizing the needle using a rare-earth magnet taped overnight on the outer edge of the top screen (without having to disassemble the grey case).
Pay attention to attach the magnet when the card is already tilted towards the screen, to avoid damaging the needle or the axle. The magnet should be small enough to avoid being directly over the needle. Don't try to do this using the magnet on the side of the compass as it won't get close enough to the needle.
It works flawlessly now.

Seems you solved the issue without removing the compass from its booth.
I'm not really familiar with this type of booth but in general any booth tends to remove itself a bit easier after having it soaked in warm (not hot!) water.
Just don't force it.

Have a look at the photos. the compass was removed from the booth before I started the topic. The question was about the grey plastic case that helps the module sit inside the rubber boot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom