Compass balance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Compass Balancing

The horizontal and vertical components of the earth's magnetic field vary considerably in different locations. For this reason Suunto compasses are balanced for 5 different zones. If the compass is used in an adjacent balancing zone, many compass pointers will tilt only slightly. However, the farther a compass is used from its correct zone, the more its pointer tilts. In extreme cases, the pointer will stick. For this reason, it is extremely important to know in which country a compass will be used.

This is taken from Suuntos web site.

Does anyone know how real a problem this really is? seems bit of a stretch to me...I live in Japan (currently) zone 1, live in New Zealand zone 5 and do alot of diving in Thailand zone 3 and 4...so does that mean I need 4 different compasses? surely not....is it April already? ha ha..

Greetings buddha,

I have used compasses all over the world. I live in zone 5 now btw. My zone 1 compasses work to some degree but certainly not as smooth and easy as in the correct zone. In fact one of my cheapo compasses doesn't work much at all as it keeps hitting the side. I have a Suunto SK7 console compass that works but when you get it to work it is facing in a tough angle to read. I would suggest getting a zone 3 which means you are only working a zone or two away from perfect unless of course you are in Thailand in that case your spot on.

Does Suunto label the zone on the compass itself, or on the box it comes in? Or do you have to trust that the compass you bought was intended for its given region?

Does Suunto label the zone on the compass itself, or on the box it comes in? Or do you have to trust that the compass you bought was intended for its given region?

The box my SK7 came in was clearly labelled with the zone. There is nothing apparent on the compass itself but I have never actually removed the compass from its boot.

In the specific case of the SK7 I would expect to be able to use it anywhere as it operates well and is easily readable even at large tilt angles - up to 30 degrees.
Quite different from the cheapie compass I used to have in my console that would lock if tilted more than 10 degrees.

Greetings buddha,

I have used compasses all over the world. I live in zone 5 now btw. My zone 1 compasses work to some degree but certainly not as smooth and easy as in the correct zone. In fact one of my cheapo compasses doesn't work much at all as it keeps hitting the side. I have a Suunto SK7 console compass that works but when you get it to work it is facing in a tough angle to read. I would suggest getting a zone 3 which means you are only working a zone or two away from perfect unless of course you are in Thailand in that case your spot on.

Well well well learn something new everyday, I thought they were pulling my chain...thanks for the info:) Ill hold on making the purchase until I settle more permanently somewhere, until that day comes Ill borrow from what ever shop Im diving with..cheers VK2ICJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom