Disappointing fit on Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently bought some used jetfins with springstraps for cheap on scubaboard. Dove them for the first time this weekend. Amazing thrust with each kick, I'm blown away! However, they hurt the bottom of my foot real bad. And they're very negative. Despite the awesome thrust it made for the worst dive I've made in a long time. My trim was terrible, the bottoms of my feet hurt pretty bad. I ended the dive early, and went back and switched out to my Mares for the rest of the day. It struck me the whole time how much less thrust I had with the mares.

I assume the pain in the bottom of the foot is due to poor fit. These were XL, I wear size 13 sneakers. Should I bother trying to find a larger size? Could it be the spring strap is too small?

As for trim.. my Mares are light. Probably 1/4 or 1/8 lb positive. I guess I could adjust my tank position to compensate some. Are there any other brands of fins with a similar thrust but less weight?

I think I've read somewhere that Jet fins of different colors had different buoyancy characteristics, but I can't confirm nor deny this as I have only owned a pair of black XXL Jets for about a year.

I ended up switching to the Hollis F1 fins because the foot pocket is narrower than the Jets, but they are similarly negative.

How thick are the soles of your boots? If they are fairly thin, you may find a heavier boot sole (stiffer) will relieve the pain in the bottoms of your feet. As for buoyancy, if you have any ankle weights, try throwing a pound and a half or two pound weight around the neck of your tank.

Rocket fins are lighter, but if I recall correctly your not a fan of them. Also, you might try twin jets. Depending on the color, they vary from negative, to neutral to positive.

Depends on the type of boot you are wearing. Jet Fins are a tough fit no matter what, in my opinion. I wore an XL with a thick soled boot, (Im a size 9) and the foot pocket was too small, and with thin soled boots, the pocket was too big. Being a size 13, if you stick with the Jet Fins, you will need a larger fin. As for something different, you might look look into the HOG or Dive Rite line of fins.

I think the fins are too small.

With 5mm size 10 neoprene boots, I wear XL jet fins.

With 5mm size 12 neoprene boots and my drysuit (socks and drysocks), I wear XXL jet fins

For ice dives, I wear two pairs of socks (along with the dry socks on the suit) and size 12 rock boots, and the XXL jet fins are too small, so I use my rocket fins.

When I'm in my drysuit, I like the negative fins and my trim holds pretty naturally.

In a wetsuit: I generally only dive single aluminum 80 in a wet suit, and so need to add a bit of weight, and find that putting that weight on the upper cam band helps to balance out how negative the fins are.

I've always had an issue with their fit and I've been diving them since 1969. A couple of years ago I tried the Hollis Bat Fin (F1s) and I loved them. The foot pocket was incredibly supple and I had no pain even after a number of dives. Moreover, I found I could back kick easily with the Bat Fins which was always a struggle for me in the Jets.

The negative fins are particularly nice when diving dry, as it counters the slight floaty feet from proper trim. Obviously doesn't apply to wet diving.

When students ask me about Jet Fins, I describe them as "putting pieces of plywood" on your feet. They are big, stiff, heavy and ugly compared with newer stylish fins. Scubapro came out with them in 1965 and I have been using them since 1966. The trick with them is using the correct boot and fin size. I use three sets of jet fins. One size for my Rock Boots. One size for cave diving in a wet suit. And a third size for Florida keys reef diving. Same holds true for buoyancy device. I use everything from a duel bladder nomad sidemount, stainless steel backplate and wings, Zeagle Ranger and a Scubapro Glide Plus. Different tools for different diving situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently bought some used jetfins with springstraps for cheap on scubaboard. Dove them for the first time this weekend. Amazing thrust with each kick, I'm blown away! However, they hurt the bottom of my foot real bad. And they're very negative. Despite the awesome thrust it made for the worst dive I've made in a long time. My trim was terrible, the bottoms of my feet hurt pretty bad. I ended the dive early, and went back and switched out to my Mares for the rest of the day. It struck me the whole time how much less thrust I had with the mares.

I assume the pain in the bottom of the foot is due to poor fit. These were XL, I wear size 13 sneakers. Should I bother trying to find a larger size? Could it be the spring strap is too small?

As for trim.. my Mares are light. Probably 1/4 or 1/8 lb positive. I guess I could adjust my tank position to compensate some. Are there any other brands of fins with a similar thrust but less weight?

I find the stiffness and negative buoyancy of Jets much exaggerated, however:

1. The size XL is too small for your size 13 feet in boots quite likely. The XXL might be too large.
2. The spring straps are too tight or too small.
3. The pocket of the Jet, if you notice does not run fully under the heel as do many more modern fins designs, thus arch cramping can occur.

Jet Fins, the fins I love to hate and hate to love. There really is no replacement for them. They are an universal do everything fin for those who can live with their quirks and even for those who cannot. For nearly 40 years I have sought a better fin and somehow always end up back with Jets perched jauntily on my toes, my arches cramped and my legs kept tucked and bent to prevent heavy feet and now my bags over weight.

N

Back
Top Bottom