Disappointing fit on Scubapro Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try modern Gorilla fins. They are great for scuba, I think they can do pretty much anything under water. However, they are too buoyant for snorkeling.
Are they anything like a Seawing Nova?
If so I tried a pair in a pool and actually found that Scubapro Twin Jets gave me more speed to energy output ratio doing a standard kick. I had access to both pairs at the same time so I did a side by side comparison.

But then a few years earlier I did an ocean test using Apollo Bio Fins vs SP Twin Jets. They both sucked out in Northern California Pacific Ocean conditions but the twin Jets seemed to suck a bit less.
So to me there is a difference between trying something in a pool and out in the Ocean (my real world).

I also know a guy who swears by Twin Jets and can out fin anybody around with them.
He dislikes regular jets and thinks they are outdated and sluggish. I tend to agree with him.
Jets to me are like an old big block V8 engine from the 60's. They are big heavy and powerful but use an enormous amount of fuel to generate horsepower. Whereas some of these new age fins are a lot lighter and can generate a fair amount of thrust with less effort, they lack when there are heavy loads to push around or into a current where max horsepower is needed.

I am open to whatever works. I have no political orientation towards any style of fin.
My only criteria is that it has to be unbreakable and not gimmicky with hinges, springs, complicated buckle systems with a lot of parts, or bands that can break or wear out.

Gorilla fins look exactly like Nova but way more stiff. Thus, more control, yet one needs much stronger legs.

I use both wet suit boots and converse high tops with my Jets. The Converse cost me $20 compared to $100+ for rock boots (I have neoprene socks on my dry suit) and can also wear neoprene socks when diving wet. So, one fin - dry or wet. Jets are pretty indestructible so finding used ones in good shape cheap is possible. However, If someone wants to spend 5X more to do the same thing I do who am I to stop them.

I've tried a few fins and, until one gets into freediving fins, it's hard to beat the amount of thrust a strong leg can generate with Jets.

Gorilla fins look exactly like Nova but way more stiff. Thus, more control, yet one needs much stronger legs.
Yes exactly, Gorollas are to much for my old weak skinny legs, but if i use my skinney legs for all they got Gorillas perform great. You do have to have strong legs to make them work. I bought mine because they were the latest and greatest , used them once and bought some easier weaker fins. if you think you would like them buy mine. size large ,second generation. 99.99us you pay shipping.

Gorilla fin in size large is way too large. I wear usually a size large but I got to-reorder gorilla fins in medium and the fins still a tad too big.

Gorilla fin in size large is way too large. I wear usually a size large but I got to-reorder gorilla fins in medium and the fins still a tad too big.
I wear an XL Gorilla fin, and love them.

have contemplated also getting a pair of Jets when I get a drysuit, but will likely try my Gorillas first and see how that works.

Back
Top Bottom