Disabled Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ms Med Flame interesting recaps, all good. I will be getting my HSA cert this summer for my veteran students and we woudl love for you to join us. As far as nerve damge as you well know you needot be doing your exercises as that will help, got to do them. There is now unofficial documentation that diving actually has shown some results to be assiting or actually restoring in some cases nerve damage do to theoretic u/w pressures. My suggestion is to go to a pool session and see how bad it is, locate a nice full service resort where the dive staff actually hlps you and ohter divers out and get wet. I have been to many diferent islands and resorts and thus far for newbies or people that need some assitance Sandals resorts are second to none. Their dive crews live to help out their cusotmers.

Where are you pics located any way?
Take care, Pat

Thank you for letting us follow your story . I wish you the best in every thing you do and I wil chat to you in the chat room i am sure. Very moving

Great post and love your motivation! If you wish to join a real active, real progressive organization, then consider IAHD-Americas. From diver training to pro-training to long term goals of a continuation of diving beyond the initial training, no one does that better than IAHD-Americas! I look forward to hearing from you!

Way to go on Recovery even though you have a long process left. I can feel ya on recovery. Each injury is unique to each person. I wish you a fast and fully recovery. Hope you get back in the water like normal before the accident.

Awesome story! Love hearing about this... Hope to meet you sometime, Karen. :clapping:

Good evening everyone.
Just a quick update on how things are going.
I am going for my 8th surgery on Decemeber 15, 2010. I am hoping this will be the last one for my arm and hand.
I have started to be able to finally get back under the water again. I was able to get down to 5ft. I know that doesn't sound like much, but it is a huge start for me. I will be diving again soon. I am setting my goal for May of 2011 to be back to diving again. Granted I am going to limit myself to only 30 ft next year. But this is to give my body a chance to adjust once again. Besides there is a lot to see and do at above 30 ft mark.
Thank you all for all of your Prayers and concerns and wonderful talks. I will let everyone know after I am able to type again after my surgery next week.
God Bless You All. Let us never forget the real reason for the Holiday Season.
Hugssss
MedFlame03 :)

MedFlame03,
Thank you for the update. My prayers will be with you for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. You have come such a long way since you started this journey and against all odds. You are an example of what you can do if you work hard and keep trying and that just because the "experts" said something does not mean it is true, you have to try. 30 feet for the first year is a great goal and as you said, there is plenty to see there too.

When you are ready, come to Los Angeles and we will do some shallow dives.

Let's hope for a speedy recovery Karen and getting you back in the water with us soon!

We miss you!

Good evening everyone.
Well the surgery is finally over. Trying to type this is not exactly easy. Being a two finger typer is hard. LOL.
Anyway, the surgery went well. It took a lot longer than they thought it would. I had a lot more damage than they thought. The pain in my shoulder is more or less gone. The pain in my wrist well lets just say it is a pain where a pill can't reach.
I am not sure how much I will get back from all the damage and what all they had to do. But like before, I am not going to let it stop me. I know I will never get everything back to the way it should be, but sure going to get back as much as I possiblely can. It will be a hard road, but I will be diving in May. So much looking forward to that.
I am hoping this is the last surgery for a long time. We think we have all all the damage repaired that can be repaired, Finally after over 4 years with dealing with the injuries to the neck, shoulder, arm, and hand. Eventually the knee will have to be repaired from where it got hurt in the accident. That too will be a while. It isn't bothering me that much and I can deal with it. Once I can't walk any more on it, perhaps then I will have it taken care of. For now I need to give this ole body a rest from that and start to enjoy life again. :)
Thank you again for all of your Prayers. God Bless All Of You.
Enjoy and Stay Safe Diving

Back
Top Bottom