Disabled Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to second Scuba Rich's note about IAHD at Indian Valley Scuba just outside of Philadelphia. Not sure where in PA you are, but if you are nearby, they have a great staff. They have pool sessions a couple times a week and can get you back in the water.

Good luck and welcome back to scuba!

dive center

Had a great conversation on Chat with Medflame03. Truely inspiring that you can be as positve and "driven" with her issues. Go Florida trip!!!!

I am sure you will get in there and blow bubbles just like you use to!!...there is a lot of support out there, take advantage of everyone's generosity. You would do the same for them.:wink:

U/O

I certainly echo what has been said about going slowly, following your doctors' orders and "refreshing" the skills that you once had.

The other part of diving is the "mental" aspect of getting back in the water. You have to make sure that you are as comfortable in your own mind about getting back into diving despite the physical limitations you might now have. That is only going to come by pretty much starting from scratch.

IMO that is the only way you are going to have the confidence that you will still be able to perform the basic skills you once were able to master (but most of us havent had to do since our open water classes).

Med - best of luck with everything... you *will* dive again. I know guys who are back in the air flying gliders and downhill skiing after being blown up in Iraq. If there is a will, there is a way. I am cheering you on... let us know how it goes.
-J

Hi to all Brother and Sister Divers,
I was certified in 1997 as an Open Water/Recreational Diver, as well as, A Search and Recovery Diver. I have been unable to dive since June of 2006. Due to I was

You might want to see if you can get one of your buddies to take SCUBA lessons (or dive with you if they're already certified). There's nothing like a great buddy to watch your back and help with stuff you can't handle alone.

Terry

Med-

Keep at it but don't push yourself too hard. Take the time to heal. Spend as much time in the pool as it takes to get comfortable with your skills. Keep in mind, you will have to learn a few skills differently than you did before the injury.

We are all looking forward to diving with you in Key Largo May next year and I know you will make it. It will be a big party.:D

I always tell my students.... 95% is confidence.... the rest is diving.

My opinion is to get pro. help but in the meantime start in a pool and begin to find your range of motion in that arm. Why not stay with swimming laps to determine your abilities. You know what diving requires but it is the conditioning that needs work. Swim with mask, fins, snorkel and see how you do. In trying to evaluate your swimming abilities give it some effort in a controlled environment. Invest in a buddy (one you can count on) to advise and be ready for any mishap you could come into in the water. Advise the life guard of your attempt at swimming. You will know how far you can go and how to adapt the loss of your arm. The range of motion with that arm may hinder or you may rehab that arm into being a help. I encourage you to try it will be a positive instead of defeat. My daughter is rehabbing from a motorcycle accident and now faces and SI joint repair. We will wait for the rehab to start and try the water in that there is no weight bearing for her. She would tell you to "suck it up" and move on with your life in things you enjoy. This ole navy man says HOOOYA, The only bad day was yesterday :D

Back
Top Bottom