Disabled Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No time like today. That way you can do lots of pool work and build up your endurance. Good luck and above all, have fun.

Good afternoon. I talked with the YMCA here about using the pool for us. I can get it for $50 for 3 nights or days. Not $50 each time. Just $50. I will pay for that. I am in water therapy now for the arm and shoulder. I decided to also get the rest of me some exercise as well. It looks like spring of 2010 if you are still interested in helping me get back into the water for diving. I so much want to dive again. This way too, it will give me some time to get my gear. I have lost a lot of weight, so I have to figure out how to recalculate for the weights. Unfortunately I do not remember how to do that. With some of the memory loss from the accident. Would you help me with that too Please? I would so much appreciate it. The times during the week are after 7 pm and weekends are before 6 pm. Which ever would be easier for you. I could probably practice now but, I still have more surgery to go through. I would kinda want to wait till spring. Any thing you can help me with, like some words of advise, would be greatly appreciated. How are things going with your shop and working the revising?

I wish I could get into the pool and start practicing. I have at least 2 or 3 more surgeries to go. Yes I am in water therapy now. I am also not only working on my disability, but I am also working on rebuilding the rest of me as well. Is there something I can do to help me till I can really start to get back into the swing of things?

The totality of your injury argues for an HSA or equivalent instructor as they will work with your abilities, not your disabilities to make diving possible. We have participated in training classes with Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI is the signature wound of Iraq) to SCUBA Dive. This is challenging as the memory is affected, but we teach, teach again, wait two weeks and evaluate and reteach if necessary.

I would suggest you start, with doctors permission on what exercise you can do now to keep your strength up and build more. Any type of aerobic exercise you can do would be terrific, bicycle, walk as fast as possible etc Build up slowly. Swimming is a very good total body exercise. Work on the old melon too. Exercise the brain to improve memory and keep the mind working. Crossword puzzles, sudko (or what ever that numbers crossword type thing is called).

From your most recent comments, a refresher (aka total recertification) may be in order, but the instructor will decide that when they talk to you.

Good luck. I wish I was in your neck of the wood so I could help, but you have local people there that have posted here.

Thank you so much Mr. Pasley. I so much appreciate the message you sent me. It is wonderful how you all are able to help the handicapped. You are all God sent and very gifted people. God Bless ALL of you. I am really working out at my YMCA to help build up more strength and coordination. Plus I have been able to lose 29 pounds so far. I want to lose a lot more. You know us women. LOL. I want to work as much as I can to rebuild some strength in the pool. My sister in law is a registered physical therapist. She knows I want to get back into diving. So is also working with me to get strength back into my legs. I won't ever be able to get a lot of strength and coordination back due to there is way to much nerve damage in my shoulder and arm. I am going to work to see how much I can get back. With the next couple surgeries, I know it is going to be harder. Once I get more strength and endurance in my legs, I am going over to the equipment and do some strengthening for the rest of me. Oh believe me I am following doctors orders. I haven't come this far from being paralized from the neck down for 4 days to being able to walk on my own. Perhaps slower, but I am. :). I am very happy with how far I have come back. and I am not about to lose that. By all means I am not stopping here either. JimLap is going to be helping me in the spring when I am going to be ready. Anysuggestions of kind of things I can do or work on would really be appreciated. I started to look at my diving book again and got a diving refresher quiz book. I have been doing very well with the questions. Some I can't remember. With losing this weight, I have to try to figure out how to recalculate for weights etc. Thank you so much Mr Pasley.

I sure will. Please if you can see the message I sent to Mr. Pasley. Alot of that is for you as well. If you can't see it, not sure if others can read all the messages here or not, but if you can't please let me know. I have been really working. I have lost 29 pounds so far and want to keep going. So I will also need help to recalculate weights for me. If there is anything you can think of to help me for next spring, please let me know as well :). God Bless You. Thank you so much. :)

Medflame03,
You have come a long way. I believe we talked by telephone back about a year ago. Firefighter, injured, etc.

Anyway, never say never. You may or may not get much more out of the shoulder. But do keep in mind that Jacques Cousteau was paralyzed in one arm at the time he and his father-in-law invented the aqualung and scuba diving. In the video I have of him telling this story you can clearly see he is using both arms. Nerves can regenerate about 1mm a year IF you continue to try to use them.(not saying all or everyone, but they can. Jim Gatacre, founder of HSA was paralyzed in one arm too, he now has what I would estimate as 80-90% use of the arm). So hang in there and I look forward to reading dive reports from you this summer.

Mr Pasley, Thank you so much for the faith and for telling me about those men. I never knew that Jacques Cousteau was paralized in one arm. I would love to hear or read the story about him. That is wonderful about Jim Gatacre. I would love to be able to talk with him how he was able to over come with him being paralized in his arm. That gives me a lot of hope. :). Thank you so much. I sure will be glad to keep you updated. God Bless You. Please becareful out there. Have fun and safe diving. :)

Mr. Jim Gatacre is the founder of Handicapped SCUBA Association an can be reached through HSASCUBA.com. The DVD To Fly In Freedom contains the clip of Mr. Cousteau talking about his accident and is available for purchase from HSA as well.

Each person is of course different, and there is no guarantee that you will have the same results, but the main point is in life, if you try, it is possible (not guaranteed by possible), if you don't....it isn't. It may take years or forever, but the life is about the journey and the fight you have in you. Keep fighting, you have come a long way and until you draw your last breath, there will always be the hope and chance things will be better tomorrow if you try today.

Back
Top Bottom