Disabilities and Political Correctness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle:
and some people arent affended at all either..you took this way to far .the only one who got you upset was you...

I didn't really get upset, more like confused, suprised and slightly annoyed at the various negative responses to a pretty simple and reasonable request. Anyway, it doesn't matter, time to move on... Happy Diving. :scubadive

get over yourself, you can look at the etymoligical root of a word, but do you seriously think that people use handicapped and mean the etymological literal meaning. We would have to rewrite the Engligh language if everyone was offended, as you are, with etymological roots of words we use every day. This is the same attitude that causes people to be offended by San Francisco being named what it is, or Pretoria being changed to Tchwane and other loopy things. All in the name of protecting the oversensitive, yes you will likely be offended by this too. The English language changes, usages and definitions morph over time, its just that never before on such a scale has it been because people had their feelings hurt.

Hi Folks,

As a T5/T6 paraplegic diver maybe I have a right of reply here.
I'm a Brit who visits the States fairly regularly ( to ski or just to visit) and I dont get too worked up about the terminology that you all use, because by and large I find that your attitude is right. I can live with handicapped parking, or disabled facilities, because YOU PROVIDE THEM, and defend their proper use.
I do have a personal aversion to the word 'cripple' , unless I am using it about myself, and think that 'spazmo' , 'gimp' , ' cabbage' etc. are best left as luxuries for me to employ about myself, but I have to reassure you that in my annual visit to Colorado I am treated as a complete equal most of the time (especially when getting out my wallet ha ha) except when people go out of their way to show me an extra bit of that good old American courtesy that I wish we taught our kids in the UK. On the slopes I just get an extra dose of friendliness, and sometimes think I must have a sign over my head that says " Give this man a smile".
You could close this thread down for me if you are all worrying about the PC thing, take it from me you have nothing much to worry about in the US.
As for the diving, well the same thing applies over in Egypt, friendly, helpful, if I wanted I could probably be carried to the boat shoulder high, those Egyptian crews are happy to pull me out of the water like I was a prize tuna with a grin and a hand with the kit.
By the Way, I've been pushing myself around for 25 years now, so arguably I DO know what I'm on about.
If you want to take something on board, it would be for those of you who deep down feel that you don't want a cripple to undermine the butchness of your macho hobby to take a hard look at yourself - what are you scared of ? Your weiner size ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom