Dirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diversauras

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was talking with diver friend who does not take offense at the "Doing It Right" title, though I have been known to bristle on occasion. She allowed that if she were to walk into an office and say to someone "You look nice today" it did not necessarily mean that all the others didn't look nice. Therefore "Doing It Right" does not necessarily mean that others are doing it wrong, though the opines of some zealots may make one wonder otherwise. All this then made perfect sense, what in fact was being said is that they were "Doing It Right Too".

If you change your moniker now it will make it easier on everyone. Really now, how many folks are going to rush over to join the DIRT divers?

:boom:

That there's nothing *competing* with DIR. There's no DIR vs DITORW (doing it the other right way). There's just DIR and, well, not DIR.

Maybe if some group or agency came up with a standardized diving system that they feel achieves the same level of safety as DIR, there might be some argument there. It doesn't necessarily need standardized gear (the thing about DIR people ***** about most), but it *does* need gear standards. It also needs extensive buddy skills and practice, excellent buoyancy, adaptability, and modularity.

However, for seem reason, I don't see this happening. Why? Because I'll bet any effort to establish some diving standard will result in what is basically DIR.

(side note: perhaps DIR could adopt gear standards for where other types of setups are necessary, such as side-slung cylinders for tight caves, etc)

Jonnythan,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I just want to clarify and make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

That there's nothing *competing* with DIR. There's no DIR vs DITORW (doing it the other right way). There's just DIR and, well, not DIR.

So, what was it before DIR came along? DIWOAC - Doing it With Out A Clue?

And what happens if DIR decides, "enough already" and folds. So what then what will divers call themselves? GTHIAHB (Gone To H*** In A Hand Basket) maybe?

Oh my, what would we all do without the Gods to lead us????

Get real!!!

Maybe if some group or agency came up with a standardized diving system that they feel achieves the same level of safety as DIR, there might be some argument there. It doesn't necessarily need standardized gear (the thing about DIR people ***** about most), but it *does* need gear standards. It also needs extensive buddy skills and practice, excellent buoyancy, adaptability, and modularity.

Are you so uncomfortable in your own judgement that you don't believe you can be right unless a group or organization sanctions your decision? Think about what you just said. Is it really not possible to do something right on your own?

Ok, let me rephrase that, let's not make this personal...

Is it really not possible for some person or group of people to do things right on his/her or their own?

However, for seem reason, I don't see this happening. Why? Because I'll bet any effort to establish some diving standard will result in what is basically DIR.

Now, that's a catch-22 if I've ever seen one. If another agency establishes the same standards... well, I think they'd get sued because that would be... well DIR. But, if they change the standards to avoid that, well, according to your words, that would be "well, not DIR."

Oh what a tight web we weave, when we endeavor to deceive...:smirk:

I'm not DIR, I don't use a DIR gear config, and I don't endorse DIR in any way.

However, the simple fact is that DIR is the only complete diving system built to maximize safety (as far as I can tell.. please correct me if I'm wrong.)

My post was just meant to point out that there are no other complete diving systems out there.. there's basically just DIR and "do whatever you like." Also, if anyone else tried to come up with a diving system that maximizes safety, they'd probably realize that they're reinventing DIR.

One more thing...

Are you so uncomfortable in your own judgement that you don't believe you can be right unless a group or organization sanctions your decision? Think about what you just said. Is it really not possible to do something right on your own?

Again, I'm not DIR. It's entirely possible to do something right on your own... but if you want to maximize safety, shouldn't you be intimately familiar with your buddy's gear? Shouldn't you religiously practice safety drills, singaling, buoyancy, and emergency procedures? If you're not interested in maximizing safety, why aren't you? I'm not that interested in maximizing safety, because I think the way I dive is "safe enough" for the time being.

Besides, Isn't that basically what DIR does? Certainly you don't need GUE training and a GUE dictated gear config for what I just listed... but then you'd need a lot of in water time, discussion, etc with a regular buddy, and you wouldn't be able to switch around buddies. And if you attempted to standardize such safety into a training program, you'd end up with DIR.

*That's* why there are no competitive diving "systems."

ScubaFishee once bubbled...
[BIf another agency establishes the same standards... well, I think they'd get sued because that would be... well DIR. But, if they change the standards to avoid that, well, according to your words, that would be "well, not DIR."[/B]

That's the point.. if another agency established the same standards, they could probably modify a couple gear config items to become not DIR. They could call it "TSWTD" (The Safest Way to Dive), which would be fine. Then there would be an actual competitor to DIR, and there would be DIR, TSWTD, and "neither."

For the time being though, there's DIR and "well, not," right? :wink:

dkigreg once bubbled...
I was talking with diver friend who does not take offense at the "Doing It Right" title, though I have been known to bristle on occasion. She allowed that if she were to walk into an office and say to someone "You look nice today" it did not necessarily mean that all the others didn't look nice. Therefore "Doing It Right" does not necessarily mean that others are doing it wrong, though the opines of some zealots may make one wonder otherwise. All this then made perfect sense, what in fact was being said is that they were "Doing It Right Too".

If you change your moniker now it will make it easier on everyone. Really now, how many folks are going to rush over to join the DIRT divers?

:boom:
Try to have a little fun and see what happens? I enjoyed the pun. Thanks. :D

landlocked once bubbled...
Try to have a little fun and see what happens? I enjoyed the pun. Thanks. :D

Boy, I'm an idiot. I didn't even get it the first time i read it. :stupid:

:wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...
I'm not DIR, I don't use a DIR gear config, and I don't endorse DIR in any way.

However, the simple fact is that DIR is the only complete diving system built to maximize safety (as far as I can tell.. please correct me if I'm wrong.).......

Sooo, how do we get you over to the dark side??!!! You've got a foot in the door already....

detroit diver once bubbled...

Sooo, how do we get you over to the dark side??!!! You've got a foot in the door already....

Give me a couple months to get used to my drysuit, buy me a Pioneer with SS BP, a decent lift bag and a spool, and pay for me to take the DIRF class :wink:

Oh yeah, and convince my buddies to do the same thing. (Ha!)

The drysuit will be the toughest part of your venture! Everything else will fall into place.

If you were in Michigan, I'd loan you my stuff...

Back
Top Bottom