DIRF, A Sobering Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI TecRec teaches you how to snowplow on the black diamond runs (sorry, had to say it

I talked to a PADI instructor today that told me they are planning to teach 160' on air....any truth to that?

:)

Nice to see you back Yooper.

Come on down and do some cave next. That's where it really gets fun.

Cheers and safe diving

Originally posted by O-ring

I talked to a PADI instructor today that told me they are planning to teach 160' on air....any truth to that?

From http://www.padi.com/courses/tecrec/TecDeepDiver.asp

The DSAT Tec Deep Diver course will train you to conduct gas-switch extended no-decompression dives, decompression dives and accelerated decompression dives using air and enriched air to a depth of 50 metres/165 feet.

Although, in all fairness, TDI's extended range course talks of Air to a depth of 180.

IANTD's Normoxic Trimix is for "those who wish to dive in the zone between 130 fsw (39 msw) and 200 fsw (60 msw) but are not comfortable doing so on air"

If DIRF isn't a carded class why do you consider it pass/fail. You enter the class with the intent of learning something. If you learn something you did what you set out to do. I don't see how you can fail this course, or pass it for that matter. If you "pass" it then you have shown you are ready and have the skills to go on to the next class. Thats great. So very few people are able to correct their defficiencies from years of bad habits developed thru poor training in a weekend. Are you suprised?

We are so quick to label someone a failure when they don't measure up when it should be a case of hey this is what you need to work on to bring your skills up to the level they need to be to take the next step.

TwoBit

Originally posted by TwoBitTxn
If DIRF isn't a carded class why do you consider it pass/fail.
I got the feeling they were talking about Tech I being pass/fail and that 50% of the folks who take Tech 1 fail.

Roak

Roakey,

That's absolutely correct. Those stats were from the Tech 1 class, not DIRF.

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
PS. I'm glad this thread was useful for so many future DIRF students.

Yooper

I personally found this thread exremely useful and intensely interesting. I also found DIR via the web and while I am certainly nowhere near DIR style diving, I am reading and absorbing as much as I can and slowly adapting my gear and attitude to this methodology as I am able.

I am very much a 'show me why' kinda guy. I don't do something because the crowd does it, I do it because it makes sense to me. And DIR makes a lot of sense. So much so that I have been dragging a few other divers along, kicking and screaming in my quest for knowledge.

The big turnoff that I had from *SOME* DIR guys initially was the "we dive this way because we are the best, so you should to." That's fine, and they may well BE the best, but that doesnt solve my need to know WHY something is a certain way.

It is very refreshing to see how some of you guys (and gals) that are more evolved than the rest of us take the time to explain the how, the why and to give us the cold hard fact that in some areas you just didnt measure up.

Many of you on here have earned a great deal of respect from me just based on knowledgeable answers, even tho I have never seen you dive. I suspect that quite a few of you have skills that are much better than mine and to read a report such as yours give me that much more pause to stop and reconsider how *good* a diver I really am. Everytime I dive with someone I mentally measure myself against them. Some have better skills than I. Most do not. But everything that I read from you guys goes towards making me a better diver and I for one thank you for that.

BTW... Been meaning to ask... What exactly *IS* a Yooper anyway, and how does it go about becoming lost?

And since I am on the subject of helpful information:

Roakey. I found your DECO Divers website when I initially started my NetQuest for DIR. I thought it was a very cool site with a lot of good information and many of your posts on here reinforced that opinion. I was pleasantly surprised the first time I ran across a post made by you and realized you were the same person from the website.

Everyone else, I just want to say that even tho I only specifically mentioned these two guys, there are many more of you out there that have great contributions to this board and make me glad I found it.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Dive often, but dive safe.

John

I have been diving in the PNW this week with divers from Fifth Dimension. One of the divers only has 56 dives and has better buoyancy and trim than most instructors I know that have 200 or more dives. It's not asking too much to have a high basic skill level.

Stacey

DD I agree with you, but your missing one major point

26 / 77.5 = .33 x 2800 psi = 924 psi required.

You're bent, dead, or lucky at 500 psi. I don't like either of these options. I like knowing I can get out of the water and have a sandwich.

924 is your turn psi.

500 is what you have left at the surface.

Turning at 500psi at 80fsw is suicide. Hitting the surface from an 80foot dive with only 500psi left is.. a bare minimum without much margin for error. Unfortunatly, most of the people I have encountered beleive that 500psi is when to turn the dive.

Nothing is a substitude for good gas managment, and the 500psi rule is a crappy substitude for incomplete teaching. I am almost positive its there because there is "math" involved in doing it right.

Originally posted by detroit diver
Why, during a charter, are we told to get back into the boat with 500 psi in our tanks?

Now this could be totally off base. Most agaencies teach you to be nuetral with 500psi in your tank. At the end of the dive, if you come up with less than 500, you would in effect be positve, with no way to correct it. Being positive would make it impossible to do a "safety stop" at 15 feet. So, if weighted properly, the 500psi limit to be back on the boat could be to keep you slightly negative when you are on your safety stop. This would allow you to use you wings to be neutral at the stop.

Just a guess though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom