Directions to shore-dive Hellcat off Kihei

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Out here in Kihei Maui right now on holiday. Found mention of this WWII Grumman F-6-F Hellcat that is in only a meter or so of water directly off the Kihei coast. Is it too far out to shore dive it? None of the DS' out here either knows or will answer.

Any help greatly appreciated. Here until the 5th of Jan.
TIA

Regards
TSL

Hey... I'm pretty sure it's in 10 metres -- I'm told it's ~30ft.

Another buddy & I were looking to go exploring for it this week -- give me a call if you want to tag along: 808-276-3514.

If not -- the best directions I have are head straight out from Lipoa Street (Star Market is on the corner of S. Kihei Rd & Lipoa).

It is a bit of a swim, I'm told... that area is shallow for a ways out.

as an amendment: in looking at a rough location as placed on the chart in "Diving Hawaii and Midway", it looks to be in water between 1 and 7 fathoms (6-42 feet), and approximately 1/3 - 1/2 of a mile off-shore.

If possible can you post pictures and or a report? Would be interested to hear/see what you find.

Thanks
I'll be posting a full report a little later, along with some photos.

Here's the raw details:

Position: N 20.74623, W 156.46385 (main wreck)
Depth: 32' (main wreck), 35' (engine)

It is 651m (712 yds) from the shoreline, so a reasonable kick out there.

Simple directions -- head straight off Lipoa Street, drop down when water gets to about 15-20' deep, stay on same heading. You should find it relatively quickly -- on your left hand side (it's not EXACTLY off the end of Lipoa by the looks of things... you have to rely on a slight current pushing you south as well. To go from the main wreckage to the engine, follow the direction the plane is pointing (south-ish) and swim ~100'. You'll find half of a wing and the engine there.

Gabe: photos are in progress... they're uploading (unedited versions) to flickr as we speak. I'm working on a more thorough post -- stay tuned for "Hellcat? Hell, yeah!" to be posted either tonight or tomorrow.

Heard something about a plane off Makena point....anyone dive that one yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom