Directionally Challenged...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edlin. Wow. That's going back a bit. People still think I'm weird for using vi. As far as the navigation goes, I found a couple of things that helped me.
1) Rather than taking a compass heading when I'm at the anchor, I move away a little - it seems that the anchor was throwing off my compass a little. 2) When I'm diving off my own boat, I throw a 100' length of polypropylene line (the cheap floating stuff) and tie off at the transom with a buoy at the other end. This drifts with the current, so if I'm off when I surface due to a strong current, the line drifts that way too. Makes the progression back to the boat a little easier.

I have found that natural navigation along depth contours is often much more reliable underwater than relying on a compass. For example, if I know a certain wreck is at 75 feet I will take a boat to about 50 yards to the left of where the GPS coordinates say the wreck should be. For a shore dive, I would swim to about 50 yards left of where my directions indicate the wreck should be. Then, I swim to the right along depth contour. This system hasn't failed me yet.

My brother-in-law is working on a GPS unit that can be used at depth as his graduate project in electrical engineering. I let the board know how it turns out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom