Directionally Challenged...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish - pin-pointing a wreck or just finding your way back to your ascent point. Just remember underwater navigation isn't precise.
Some easy tips:

Pick easy to see headings-want 110 or 130 use 120 then look left/right once you're close.

To measure distance you'll have to get a 100 to 200 foot rope. Count how many kicks it takes to swim the length then divide the length by the number of kicks-this tells you how far you go each kick cycle (do it 3-4 times & use your average) Do the same thing again only time yourself instead of counting your kicks. Kicks are more accurate than time, but it's a hassle for longer distances.

Doing a Square plan = 3-90' turns, Triangle = 2-120' turns, use the same length for each leg. You can do any shape as long as the legs are the same length & the turns all equal 360'(but you have to count turning once you reach home- 90x3=270 + 90=360; 120x2=240 +120=360). An easy way to do 90' turns is to stretch your arm out straight, then face the direction your arm is pointing.(BTW (')= Degrees)

Hope this helps.

Hey - you can actually use the degree symbol - hold [ALT] and type 0176 - let go of [ALT] and you have °.

HTH,
Dane

Hey Wet Dane, I think I will want to keep my MOD well above reverting back to ASCII... ;-) Next you'll have me using EDLIN!!!

Originally posted by WetDane
Hey - you can actually use the degree symbol - hold [ALT] and type 0176 - let go of [ALT] and you have °.

HTH,
Dane

You mean you dont have ° à ç é è µ ù or ¤ on your keyboard!!!!!!

Jon T

Yes, that is correct - I do however have æ ø å § in case you need them...

Dane

Just returned from my week of diving and low & behold...I CAN NAVIGATE! Look out folks – I am one navigating fool! We did about 21 dives and my other half (bold as he is) allowed me to do all of the navigating and I brought us back to the boat EVERY SINGLE TIME! Thanks y’all for your suggestions and helpful hints. It paid off!

P.S.
One of the other guests on the boat even asked ME where the boat was on one dive! (oooooh)!

scubadweeb,

Sounds like your a natural. I took the navigation coarse on my last trip. It's easier than I thought it would be. But I'm still lacking in confidence, I guess that means more practice! hehe!

Tavi:tree:

Congratulations! Bravo! Job Well Done. Your family here at the board are very proud of you.

Ok you keyboard wizards. Edlin? I didn't think too many people would remember about that editor.

Je suis sûr que Jon T et moi ont probablement ces panneaux "spéciaux" comme nous fréquemment devons écrire en au autre langage. Mais cec'est la vie)

(I'm sure Jon T and I probably have those "special" boards as we frequently have to write in another language. But that's life)

Originally posted by DivingGal

Je suis sûr que Jon T et moi ont probablement ces panneaux "spéciaux" comme nous fréquemment devons écrire en au autre langage. Mais cec'est la vie)

Apres j'ai ecrit ma thèse (plus de 250 pages!) avec un panneau Anglais....ce foutu panneau français est super bizzare!

(after writing a 250+ page thesis with an english keyboard.... this bloody french keyboard is rather strange!)

Jon T

Hey Diving Gal,

Edlin was for those who were afraid of copycon... ;-)

Hey Scubadweeb,

Congrats on a course well directed! Keep practicing, and soon you will really absorb your lessons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom