Directionally Challenged...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadweeb

Reaction score
Within the confines of my company, I am known as the directionally challenged one. I have a heck of a time finding locations on land, and it's quite amazing how far off I can be in the water. I know that practice makes perfect and I will continue to practice while I'm on trips scuba diving however, I don't have the luxury of diving more than two to three times a year. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can improve my compass use in the interim?

I have taught a number of students that way. Mark out a course in your front yard then using your compass navigate the course then again with a towel over your head so that you can't cheat.

Hey Scubadweeb & All,

Look up orienteering on the web. You are sure to find a local group that you can learn this basic skill from on land. Once you have the basics down pat, moving it to the water is a piece of cake. BTW, Orienteering is fun and great exercise too! Another way is to locate your local Boy Scout Troop and ask the Scout Master if he can help you out. I just can't imagine them saing no!

Pete, an Asst Scout Master for Troop 7 and District Round Table Commissioner from Orlando...

Uh, could someone show me where the "send" key is???

I was going to say something about the boyscouts, but this really is a diving place and not a political forum, so I'll refrain...

I think the stake out in the garden and the orientation option is great and that is one great sport...

Terkel

If you are going to be using a compass, try using underwater "landmarks". Pick a rock or something easily distinguished underwater, in the line you are trying to swim. Then simply swim for that. Once you are there, take another reading and another landmark and keep going. That way you aren't constantly fighting with your compass and missing out on the scenery. If your visiblity is great, then the landmarks will be fewer. If your vis is next to nothing......well then you may need to keep the compass at eye level.

Did I ever tell ya'll the time I tried to take my GPS under with me just to see if it would work? It won't! ;-)

Pete from Orlando...

Hmm, NetDoc. I never heard of orienteering before - thanks. I looked it up on the web & it looks pretty nifty. (www.orienteering.org) I'll give it a try. If it works, that means my income may go down, as my mileage will substantially be reduced! (Ha, ha). Also, I'm going to try MrMrEZG's "back yard" suggestion this evening...If y'all don't hear back from me in a couple of days it will be safe to presume that I have either:
A) smacked my head against that great big tree
or
B) alerted my neighbors because I have a towel over my head and they decided to have me arrested.

Hey Scubadweeb,

Keep looking for your local club. If your city/town has a web sight it might have the local clubs on it like ours (ICFlorida.com). You can read a lot about map and compass, but there is no substitute for having an individual show you just how easy it can (and should) be.

They even have competitions which can range from a mere mile to several miles long. Of course, I am the guy with the compass, graph paper and ruler trying to solve it mathematically first. Turn twenty runs into one. Of course there may be that great big tree or building in the way, but there are "work arounds" for that as well.

Have fun, and don't forget to adjust your angle of declination!!!

Pete from Orlando...

Originally posted by scubadweeb
...If y'all don't hear back from me in a couple of days it will be safe to presume that I have either:
A) smacked my head against that great big tree
or
B) alerted my neighbors because I have a towel over my head and they decided to have me arrested.

.... although you know, if you really did got "lost" and found another diver, would you really be lost?

Land orientation is the way I got better (note I did not say perfected) my skill. I still on the occasion sort of misplace myself. Fortunately, the distance of where I want to be, and where I've ended up is getting smaller and smaller.

so I give my eight year old son a wrist compass and read through the manual on navigation. we navigate through the house and each of us with seperat compass's, wrote down our headings and bearings on seperate sheets of paper. I quit and resorted to my GPS, (soon very soon they're working on a underwater version) but I have told my son that he needs top age faster and I'll just follow him. but with the help of my son and GPS I understand more.

I like the towel idea, my neighbors might think me normal.

Back
Top Bottom