Votes: 29 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Neutral

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR, in it's most strict form, equates to simple, safe, and efficient diving. It works for practically all diving environments and conditions. If you're diving strict DIR, the world would practically have to come to an end for you or your buddy to get into serious trouble. Whether one chooses to dive strict DIR or not, one can't argue against the merits very well. You can disagree with DIR and choose not to adopt it, but can you honestly say that your system of diving is BETTER than DIR -- especially for technical diving? I sure haven't seen a better system/philosophy of diving that can be used in such a wide variety of environments with equal safety and efficiency.

:)

Mike

Originally posted by Lost Yooper
You can disagree with DIR and choose not to adopt it, but can you honestly say that your system of diving is BETTER than DIR
Yooper you know that I would not disagree with DIR...

But...

What about a guy like Darian?

if you don't have a buddy...
can't find a buddy...
or at least anyone interested in DIR.

Do you have a possible solution for him other than
"Don't dive."
or
"Move to where there are DIR divers."

I think that this is something we should try to address.

Good point - and thats where I am at with dive partners. I do not feel that most if them would make a good dive buddy.

DIR is a good system for cave diving. The purpose of a buddy is tied to the fact that it takes two to supply mutual psychological reinforcement. I can't imagine anything lonelier than a DIR diver without a buddy.

Do you have a possible solution for him other than
"Don't dive."
or
"Move to where there are DIR divers."

Do what I did, get a DIR Fund class going in the area or nearby. I checked around quite a bit here and could find virtually no interest but as soon as I got the class going people started coming out of the wood work!

Now we have a shop that is considering getting more GUE training going in the future and several PADI instructors/DMs who are interested. I just sent him the info that Andrew G. is getting the GUE OW class going soon.

Tommy

If you can't find a buddy to do substantial dives with Here are my thoughts on options 1.Move....no 2.Don't dive...no 3.Dive solo...sorry only on rec. dives 4.Increase travel budget....OWW 5.Agree to meet like-minded buddies at mutually convenient sites...cool,if possible 6.Combine #s 4&5...My personal favorite. We have made a few sacrifices in our lives that allow us the freedom to do it.To do this tho you really wanna look at your motives .Most of the guys actually doing this stuff have indicated a willingness to dive with the uninitiated in controlled circumstances .

My argument on Solo diving in very recreational diving still stands.

I think I have a method of finding a dive partner. There are several possible candidates, but we will see. Then there is the other option, I plan to volunteer to assist a local dive shop instructors with courses. (I am not instructing, not in water with student, should get free air fills and access to students.) I thinking, I am looking for someone blond, brunet or redhead, female, nice personality.

Darian,

Do me a favor. When you're in the DIRF class here in Michigan, let me know when you're going to tell Andrew about your thoughts on solo diving.

I want to have the video camera running.....

Back
Top Bottom