Votes: 29 59.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Neutral

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Seeking some opinions (good and bad) on the DIR method of diving.....

What are the PRO'S and CON'S of this method?

You might want to post this over in the tech section to get a better response....

Might help with the pro side but any possible nay-sayers may not find it there?

I voted yes,that being said I rarely dive 100% DIR compliant.There is no doubt that the achievements of the DIR crowd far surpass other styles.Best is such a relative term tho.If you doing something not compliant does that mean you're not good?

Interesting - don't think you can be "neutral" on that question.

DIR seems to pretty much a US based thing - in fact I asked an instructor at the weekend what she thought of DIR and had never heard of it.....

To my mind ( and I have not done sufficient digging ) it appears very closed shop. There are plenty of Tech divers out there from round the world who have never heard of DIR or do not have DIR instructors available to them so I vote No.

Plus the name still bugs the hell out of me - sorry Uncle Pug I still have not got over it......

Jonathan

I think DIR is good for Rec and Tech diving. You do have to get over some of the people that want to ram it down your throat and have some ego issues :)... But, it teaches good diving skills, good buddy awarness. It is not new, in reality, they just took things from the past, put a new lable on it and made it a complete package.

Eric

There are two definitions for DIR. One is “Dick In Rear”. The other is “Doing It Right”.
I started off thinking it was “Dick In Rear”. I started looking at the DIR/GUE way because I wanted to go technical. It really appears that these guys belonged to a cult. After reading ‘“Doing It Right” the fundamentals of Better Diving’ and talking to more than a few divers, I am changing my mind. It really appears that DIR stands for “Doing It Right”.

BTW, I am not saying if you are not totally DIR you are doing it wrong, but it all depends on what you want out of diving. DIR just appears to be a little more right than any other way. This means if you are planning on going tech, cave or wreck this appears to be the way to go.

May I suggest buying ‘“Doing It Right” the fundamentals of Better Diving’. I find very little to argue with. The two exceptions are 1. ScubaPro Jet Fins and 2. Buddy diving. Both of which I will argue ar length if someone wants.

Darian Dunn,
OK, lets play Devil's Advocate, for fun, and educational purposes....WHY are you down on The Buddy System and all?

From what I have been told (correct me if I am wrong), the DIR system says you “must” have a dive buddy “always”.

The positive side to this:
1. The buddy is there to save your live.
2. If you have a true buddy the systems works.

On the negative side:
1. Most divers do not make good buddies.
2. With an understanding of acceptable risk, I consider solo, simple, shallow diving, in a known area, an acceptable risk.

Personal note, I have not found a good buddy. With the buddies I have found, I was a solo diver diving in the company of others. Your mileage may very.

Originally posted by Darian Dunn
Personal note, I have not found a good buddy. With the buddies I have found, I was a solo diver diving in the company of others. Your mileage may very.
This is perhaps the most difficult hurdle to get over...
You can buy all the rest of the stuff...
You can travel to take a class...
But unless you can develop a buddy... a good buddy...
The rest just can't fall into place...
And I think this is a bigger impediment to DIR than the attitude thing most complain about...
Without a buddy whadda~ya~gonna~do?

I hope that you can find one Darian.

Back
Top Bottom