DIR view of Sidemounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Edmonston

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What are the current views on sidemounting in the DIR community?

Why is it or is is not acceptable?

If explorations warrant Sidemount / Nomount, should we just not do the expeditions?

I'm not talking about huge caves that get GPS/SONAR/LASER mapping, I'm talking about pushing back into systems 4k to 5k ft back with NO OPTION of backmounting.

Looking forward to the pros and cons.

Cheers :D

Mike

Thanks Jeff,

I had already read the posts, but they are almost 2 years old. I was wondering as to the CURRENT status, and opinions of DIR divers. It is my understanding that safety, simplicity in configuration, and minimalism are the basis of a DIR attitude. I believe that a well thought out Sidemount rig fits right into that mindset.

I am very curious as to the percieved resentment and flat out refusal to adopt a sidemount system by the DIR powers at be. Is it not really up to the divers and their exploration team to conduct the safest dive possible?

I could see a great opportunity for a "DIR sidemount class".

Cheers

Mike

Mike Edmonston:
Thanks Jeff,

I had already read the posts, but they are almost 2 years old. I was wondering as to the CURRENT status, and opinions of DIR divers. It is my understanding that safety, simplicity in configuration, and minimalism are the basis of a DIR attitude. I believe that a well thought out Sidemount rig fits right into that mindset.

I am very curious as to the percieved resentment and flat out refusal to adopt a sidemount system by the DIR powers at be. Is it not really up to the divers and their exploration team to conduct the safest dive possible?

I could see a great opportunity for a "DIR sidemount class".

Cheers

Mike
If sidemount is required, use a sidemount. If its not...then don't.

How tough is that?

Well, I guess that clears that up. Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I'm sure I couldn't have figured that part out on my own.

I see the "Attitudes" haven't changed.

Cheers

Mike

JeffG:
If sidemount is required, use a sidemount. If its not...then don't.

How tough is that?

problem with DIR sidemount is, that I guess there is no reasonable way to rig it so that standard muscle memory for OOA donation, leaking valves etc. apply, right?

So you are somewhat violating a lot of the DIR training methodology.

That said, I think there is some DIR sidemount exploration going on on the quiet in certain areas...

limeyx:
problem with DIR sidemount is, that I guess there is no reasonable way to rig it so that standard muscle memory for OOA donation, leaking valves etc. apply, right?

Backwards type thinking.

Think this way

1st you have a Goal
2nd a plan to achieve that goal. (safest plan possible with still achieving the desired result)
3rd execute the plan

vs

a) I got gear/training
b) It allows me to do x/y/z

This is a very big oversimplification, but if you look at it from a goal perspective, you can see where sidemount and RB80's get used.

limeyx:
That said, I think there is some DIR sidemount exploration going on on the quiet in certain areas...
Yep. I heard of some going on in mexico. (psssst...there is even pictures of either Danny or Chris with a helmet. :wink: )

Mike Edmonston:
I see the "Attitudes" haven't changed.

Cheers

Mike
Its not my attitude that requires changing.

JeffG:
B....
Yep. I heard of some going on in mexico. (psssst...there is even pictures of either Danny or Chris with a helmut. :wink: )

That Helmut guy sure gets around... those German's are everywhere :wink:

limeyx:

Great point,

Muscle memory for the OOA's should be preserved. The left tank can be fitted with a long hose routed around the neck. The right tank can also have a long hose and the reg mounted on a lanyard. Hoses on both tanks can be bungied against the stage in similar fashion to a stage. Gas supply issues with valves would be treaed the same as a stage freeflow. Since the regs are in the same place, and the stage freeflow valve isolation drills are done anyway, I am curious on how it couldn't be DIR.

Thanks for your input Lime

Cheers:D

Mike

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom