DIR training question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you TSandM et al,

I have a few years before this becomes a real issue. Who knows, by then I might break down and start teaching again…….naw….one of you will have to do it.

couv

Cheekymonkey:
MHK that was a wonderful post, and I must say I wish more of the GUE guys posted in such a manner. Next time I have a DIR question i'll know who to shoot it too. Thanks
I have yet to see any of the GUE-affiliated people ever answer in anything but a professional manner. Maybe you are referring to people who are GUE-taught, or worse, GUE wanna-be's who have not been to a GUE course. In that case, I agree. Heck, I'm sure if I look back at some of my old posts I could have been an idiot or come across as a jerk...

Anyway, I was just curious as to what GUE guys have answered inappropriately. Were they actual GUE instructors? Since very few are on here, it's probably unlikely.

Thanks and happy new year,
Chris

MHK:
3) Tobin, and others, have suggested GUE trained divers that are instructors for other agencies as an option. While for certain I''m not suggesting that there aren't quality instructors at other agencies, as there are many excellent instructors available, but you must consider that some agencies preclude the instructor from exceeding their standards, so in many respects even the most excellent of instructors are limited to the standards setforth by the agency. So if that means 4 dives, then so be it ( presuming of course the student satisfies the requirements ), or if that means that doing a skill on your knees is allowable, then so be it. Naturally there is an infinite amount of examples I could provide, but I hope you see the point. However, GUE standards codify the notion that instructors are encouraged to exceed standards, and I would advance the position that GUE standards far exceed any other agencies standards from the outset. BTW, GUE is the only agency I'm aware of that publishes our standards on the internet for everyone to see, www.gue.com;

Hey Mike,

A couple of quick questions for you...

Skimming through the general S&P and the recreational level 1 standards I didn't see where it explicitly specified which skills are required to be demonstrated midwater. Is that stated anywhere?

I'm sure you guys cover problems like free flows or stuck inflators but I did't see anything like that specifically listed.

Why no snorkel or free diving skills? I know you guys don't use snorkels for scuba diving and I usually don't either but for an entry level course, in the interest of general watermanship, I would think that one should at least know how to use a snorkel.

Just curious and thanks in advance.

Being dive master certified here in the north east, I see a lot of good and bad when it comes to training, I am all in favor of a more demanding and comprehensive OW course that GUE proposes. The general public unfortunately is unaware many times of the benefits of an OW class offered by organizations such as GUE, because they sometimes see the price and get sticker shock or are not even aware that GUE even exists.

With the numbers that were stated by MHK as far as dive certifications and cost, how does GUE propose to compete with organizations such as PADI and NAUI and the recent less is more training philosophy and price?

Let the buyer beware.

smb1014:
Being dive master certified here in the north east, I see a lot of good and bad when it comes to training, I am all in favor of a more demanding and comprehensive OW course that GUE proposes. The general public unfortunately is unaware many times of the benefits of an OW class offered by organizations such as GUE, because they sometimes see the price and get sticker shock or are not even aware that GUE even exists.

With the numbers that were stated by MHK as far as dive certifications and cost, how does GUE propose to compete with organizations such as PADI and NAUI and the recent less is more training philosophy and price?

Let the buyer beware.

GUE has said all along that they are not interested in competing against other agencies or the status quo.

TSandM:
We're confused, too, couv.

As far as I know, you have to do OW with somebody else, then do DIR-F.

GUE has put together an OW class and published stuff on what's included in it, and it sounds like the ideal open water class, but to my knowledge, it's not being taught anywhere yet. MHK would be the person to PM and ask, as he is a senior GUE instructor.
You still need to be certified elsewhere, then you can take DIR-F. Nothing has changed, with respect to DIR-F. At least, that's what I took from MHK's lecture last month.

What has changed is the newly-available option (although I don't know if the first class has been taught anywhere yet, regardless of location... hey, maybe I can be the first! :D ) of the GUE basic open water certification class, which, as I understand it, essentially includes BOW and DIR-F as one class. A subtle distinction to be sure, but AFAIK, you don't need DIR-F if you go through the GUE BOW route. (I'm sure there is an official name but I hope my point is made.)

cmalinowski:
I have yet to see any of the GUE-affiliated people ever answer in anything but a professional manner. Maybe you are referring to people who are GUE-taught, or worse, GUE wanna-be's who have not been to a GUE course. In that case, I agree. Heck, I'm sure if I look back at some of my old posts I could have been an idiot or come across as a jerk...

Anyway, I was just curious as to what GUE guys have answered inappropriately. Were they actual GUE instructors? Since very few are on here, it's probably unlikely.

Thanks and happy new year,
Chris

Your absolutely right I certainly meant GUE trained people. This is my first expereince with someone that is GUE affiliated and it was a good one.

cmalinowski:
I don't know. I don't think you have to go DIR out of the gate. While it would be nice, it will probably be more expensive to do that route then to take a PADI or NAUI or some other BOW course and then take a DIRf course. And, I don't think that you would be doing any great diservice to your kids by going that route. They won't learn too many things that are bad and won't have too many muscle memory issues / bad habits.Chris
I disagree with this notion wholeheartedly. How would it be cheaper to pay course fees to PADI, NAUI, SSI or any other recognized agency for BOW and then pay tuition for DIR-F or DIR-BOW?
It is likely that one would need two sets of gear for this process as most instructors would freak if a student showed up with a BP/W, 5' hose on the primary and short hosed Octo supported by a necklace.
I could say the old adage if I knew then what I know now I could have saved a whole bunch of money in getting certified OW and been a much better diver in the end.
Now here I am OW certified, AOW certified, EAN certified and still a marginally competent diver. I am taking DIR-F this weekend knowing full well that it will take a miracle of miracles for me to pass.
How nice it would be to take that DIR BOW course right off the bat and have better skills than most divers with 50 logged dives.
However, I do have one question, wel actually two. First, would other agencies recognize a GUE OW cert and SECOND, what happens if the student fails?
Just my humble opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom