DIR training question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nadwidny:
Not universal but close enough. The odds are slim to none for someone just phoning up IANTD and finding an OW course or instructor that truly understands DIR. I'm glad to hear there is at least one, but that's just one out of hundreds.

Brian,

You are probably correct, as in all scuba courses instructor selection is key. Unfortunately at the entry level the typical student is not well prepared to qualify the instructor.

SB and can be a big help here. The OP is asking the right questions.

Tobin

nadwidny:
I would suggest that someone start out DIR and then make a choice of whether or not they want to continue that way, rather than the other way around.
I personally agree with this. I think that if someone has started with actual DIR training that they are in a better position to make an informed decision about the DIR system of diving compared to other systems of diving.

People who are for some reason or another opposed to DIR Diving, generally have no issues with the skills and training at the Fundamental level. They seem to agree that the skills are important and it is beyond that where their philosophical differences seem to lie.

It appears to me that the issues we hear about most concerning opposition to DIR diving are based in a caricature of DIR found on the Internet. These things are difficult to find in reality.

Christian

I don't know. I don't think you have to go DIR out of the gate. While it would be nice, it will probably be more expensive to do that route then to take a PADI or NAUI or some other BOW course and then take a DIRf course. And, I don't think that you would be doing any great diservice to your kids by going that route. They won't learn too many things that are bad and won't have too many muscle memory issues / bad habits.

I have no idea what the GUE open water teaches, but I am sure that it is good. I am also sure that there are places that may teach NAUI or SSI with a GUE slant as mentioned above. I know that I was just out in san diego and talked to a dive shop out there that is not GUE, but puts people in the GUE gear config out of the gate and teaches buoyancy and trim from the git go. So, as Tobin says, they are out there.

You may just want to contact GUE and ask. Their instructors are not borgs like everyone thinks and I am sure that they will help you decide what is best for your children. Then again, in five or so years, GUE training may be commonplace :)

Take care,
Chris

couv:
Hello All,

However, I have two boys who will be learning to dive in the next 4 or 5 years which makes me wonder if there is an entry level to DIR or does one have to complete a conventional scuba class first.

Thank you,

couv

Couv,

A couple of comments in response to your question. In the interest of full disclosure since you are new to this forum, I am a GUE instructor and I was involved in setting up the OW program, so it would be natural to assume I'm somewhat biased in that regard, but with that in mind please accept these comments:

1) Part of our motivation in setting up the OW course was to provide the industry with an additional choice. More often then not you'll hear from other agencies that the students want shorter, more relaxed classes. That has lead way to ideas such as remote learning, wherein the student need never meet with an instructor for the academic portion of the class, all academics can be done via internet and/or telephone. Many of the agencies have gone the route of reduced skills included in OW, and/or increased student to instructor ratio's, this has given weight to the idea(s) such as having all students on their knees for the skill demonstration, or liberal interpretations of "mastering" the skill;

2) Some agencies have all but conceeded the point that education is a loss leader for shops and began to promote ideas such as 2 for 1 training, meaning 2 students could get certified for $99. By encouraging this mentality, the idea was that the shops could get 2 sales of mask, fins, snorkel et.al. and the agency would get 2 certification fees, but what did that do to the quality of education, the motivation of the instructor or the idea that the underlying training has intrinsict value?;

3) Tobin, and others, have suggested GUE trained divers that are instructors for other agencies as an option. While for certain I''m not suggesting that there aren't quality instructors at other agencies, as there are many excellent instructors available, but you must consider that some agencies preclude the instructor from exceeding their standards, so in many respects even the most excellent of instructors are limited to the standards setforth by the agency. So if that means 4 dives, then so be it ( presuming of course the student satisfies the requirements ), or if that means that doing a skill on your knees is allowable, then so be it. Naturally there is an infinite amount of examples I could provide, but I hope you see the point. However, GUE standards codify the notion that instructors are encouraged to exceed standards, and I would advance the position that GUE standards far exceed any other agencies standards from the outset. BTW, GUE is the only agency I'm aware of that publishes our standards on the internet for everyone to see, www.gue.com;

4) I believe our program will produce more competent and qualified divers, but I suspect others will argue otherwise this subjective ideology. Moreover, I would suggest to you, and others, that the single most fundamental issue I have seen during the many DIR-F classes I have taught was that the fundamental teaching principle of the law of primacy had been significantly compromised at the OW level. All too many of my former students lacked the value and appreciation for things such as neutral bouyancy. It's hard to appreciate the need to be neutrally bouyant after basic OW class when the vast majority of your skill demonstration was done on your knees.

In the final analysis, one of Jarrod's primary motivations for moving forward with an OW program was to provide an option and a path for those that didn't want bifrucated or truncated training, but for those that wanted the option for a more complete and somewhat more demanding training paradigm. We believe that many of the agencies view themselves as a gateway to diving and strive to be as ultra-inclusive as possible, despite what that may mean to the quality of instruction. One major agency was quoted on their website as saying that they issued 966,000 certification in one calender year, at $30 per cert that translates into roughly $29,000,000 of annual revenue simply for issuing certification cards. Now couple that with a crew pak per student at ~$55 per and that is another $53,100,000 of revenue, so you start seeing the financial incentive at getting more and more students into more and more classes, so bifrucating the training starts to make financial sense. Why teach a rigorous OW class when you can teach a less complex OW class and promote con-ed for the AOW and sell 2 certifications cards and 2 crew-paks?? By way of comparison, GUE issued less then 3,000 certifications last year, so you can certainly see that our motivation is not financial as we are non-for-profit whereas other agencies are privately held, for-profit agencies.

Hope that provides a bit of insight as to our motivation at setting up the OW program and what we hope to accomplish with it. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards

MHK that was a wonderful post, and I must say I wish more of the GUE guys posted in such a manner. Next time I have a DIR question i'll know who to shoot it too. Thanks

Hello All,

I did not mean to start a war here, I muddled the issue with too much verbiage. I am just curious about the DIR prerequisite training requirements. If I could ask the question over: Does one have to have to be OW certified to take the first DIR class or is there an entry level course to DIR? I apologize for the confusion. Thank you to those who have answered me here and through PMs.

couv

Don't worry about it couv some people come back at questions way to stronly you didnt start a war at all, this turned into a nice post in acutallity

We're confused, too, couv.

As far as I know, you have to do OW with somebody else, then do DIR-F.

GUE has put together an OW class and published stuff on what's included in it, and it sounds like the ideal open water class, but to my knowledge, it's not being taught anywhere yet. MHK would be the person to PM and ask, as he is a senior GUE instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom