DIR training question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All,

I have been reading many interesting post in this forum and I like a lot of what I see. I have not taught diving in 15 or so years and really do not see volunteering myself those headaches again. However, I have two boys who will be learning to dive in the next 4 or 5 years which makes me wonder if there is an entry level to DIR or does one have to complete a conventional scuba class first.

Thank you,

couv

couv:
Hello All,

I have been reading many interesting post in this forum and I like a lot of what I see. I have not taught diving in 15 or so years and really do not see volunteering myself those headaches again. However, I have two boys who will be learning to dive in the next 4 or 5 years which makes me wonder if there is an entry level to DIR or does one have to complete a conventional scuba class first.

Thank you,

couv

Recently the GUE announced an entry level class that starts with skin diving and includes BOW, rescue, nitrox etc.

It will be rigourous, and complete, and expensive, and perhaps hard to find.

Sounds like a great class if you can find an instructor.

I'd recommend contacting GUE.com

Good luck,

Tobin

couv:
Hello All,

Thank you,

couv

In addition to Tobin's note, you can check with IANTD (International Assoc. of Nitrox and Technical Divers, www.iantd.com). They have an open water program geared to tech divers. Just how purely DIR it is will depend on the instructor, but in any case it will be close.

Jeff

Jeff_S:
In addition to Tobin's note, you can check with IANTD (International Assoc. of Nitrox and Technical Divers, www.iantd.com). They have an open water program geared to tech divers. Just how purely DIR it is will depend on the instructor, but in any case it will be close.

Close? I seriously doubt it.

At the moment your best bet is probably to contact an OW scuba instructor, who has some DIR training and let him/her know you would like to start off in that direction from the beginning. - If you do not know of any, you can post your query in the Texas forum here on Scubaboard.

Aloha, Tim

nadwidny:
Close? I seriously doubt it.

Brian,

A local Iandt Tech instructor that both Jeff and I know well, and have taken classes from is also GUE Tech 1 Trained, soon should be Cave1.

His teaching includes information from many agencies, and the core of that instruction is DIR compliant. His gear is configured in compliance.

He's not a GUE instructor, and he does cover the other agencies guidelines and protocols.

When he can be coaxed into teachig a BOW class his students start with a BP&W, H valve, redundant regs, bungeed BU and a 7' primary. These clases are not inexpensive, the education is complete and the divers earn their tickets.

Your concerns may be well placed, but not universal.

Tobin

Couv,
As much as some of us like the DIR way of diving it is not for everyone... Maybe let them go thru BOW and then if they decide to dive this way let them take DIR-F.

cool_hardware52:
Brian,

A local Iandt Tech instructor that both Jeff and I know well, and have taken classes from is also GUE Tech 1 Trained, soon should be Cave1.

His teaching includes information from many agencies, and the core of that instruction is DIR compliant. His gear is configured in compliance.

He's not a GUE instructor, and he does cover the other agencies guidelines and protocols.

When he can be coaxed into teachig a BOW class his students start with a BP&W, H valve, redundant regs, bungeed BU and a 7' primary. These clases are not inexpensive, the education is complete and the divers earn their tickets.

Your concerns may be well placed, but not universal.

Tobin

Not universal but close enough. The odds are slim to none for someone just phoning up IANTD and finding an OW course or instructor that truly understands DIR. I'm glad to hear there is at least one, but that's just one out of hundreds.

Ben_ca:
Couv,
As much as some of us like the DIR way of diving it is not for everyone... Maybe let them go thru BOW and then if they decide to dive this way let them take DIR-F.

I would suggest that someone start out DIR and then make a choice of whether or not they want to continue that way, rather than the other way around.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom