DIR tips and tricks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ritual for getting out of my rig involves:

1. Deflate Wing
2. Turn gauges, compass in (towards inside of wrist)
3. Slide butt down from bench creating slack in shoulder straps.

Another tip I got from Bob Sherwood is that you can lengthen your shoulder straps quite a lot, if you snug up the crotch strap to make up for it. This gives you a huge range in a single tank setup, where you can move the tank up and down in the bands. You don't have quite as much range with doubles, but it's more than you think. If you are having a hard time getting out of your gear, first make sure the wing isn't full ( :) ) and then consider lengthening the shoulder straps.

TSandM, this sounds interesting. Thanks. Can describe it further? If the crotch strap is holding down the lengthened shoulder strap, how do you move the tank up during a dive? I assume that you'd want to do this for optimal trim. Thanks.

Well, during a dive, it's a bit difficult, unless you can get your buddy to understand that you want your cambands loosened and the tank moved up! And with very short tanks, like HP 80s, you may not be able to move the tank up very far, in which case you may need to play with any other weight you are carrying, to put it up as high as possible. With longer tanks, it is not an issue.

Speaking of long tanks.....through the years, I have tried many different tanks....for pure "invisibility" ( you don't feel the tank--it is like it is not there), the old steel 72's were the best..though this could have some fond thinking in it from old memories :)

As to larger tanks, while I used to like the lp120's because they could be cave filled ( jacked/overfilled) to become approx the same size as double 80's....but, As Bob Sherwood demonstrated to me, the have so much more diameter with high mass, that they actually try to roll your body to the left or right, if you come to a stop and try to hover, and even if you are just swimming slow without constantly correcting for the roll with fin actions....

Lately I have been diving on Splashdown Divers alot off Boynton Beach Fl, and have done alot of diving with the long hp120's they have....These are narrow like an 80, and if tanks follow the same physics that boat hulls do, there should be much less drag in swimming them through the water, with their much lower cross section.....and this is what it feels like. These narrow tanks allow me to do big kicks and very long glides, much more like the old steel 72's....and I do not feel any of the rocking forces that the big diameter lp 120's cause. As to the argument that doubles are even more stable, that may well be due to the catamaran effect of the wings and center of gravity, but the functional need for more stability than is possible with the long hp120 would not exist in 99% of the diving population ---I see this as only slightly relevant to the very tiny population of exploration grade divers involved in highly technical tight penetrations in high danger environments, where a great deal of hovering may need to last for long periods of time---this essentially irrelevant to most diving. And of course, the huge DISADVANTAGE of doubles is that they are huge drag ( makes the diver work much harder to go at a given pace) and the likelihood of a diver injuring themself goes up dramatically with doubles, by virtue of there being something of a critical mass to how much weight a diver can safely move around without hurting their back.... Plenty of single tank choices will below this critical mass weight....and most doubles will be dangerous for the "back health" of the "average scuba diver".

In any event, I really like the long HP 120's, and find them the most desirable tank for me to use for almost any kind of dive I enjoy doing. They won't be useful for 300 foot deep stuff, but that's not really relevant to 99% of the world's divers :)

So did it work? You guys should try shooting SMBs from under the ice. See who can score a bullseye into the opening :p

Yes, it worked like a charm. :) No more limp SMB's, at least due to numb lips. Thanks for the tips!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom