DIR single tank regulator setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tceylan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a beginner diver that picked up on diving in the last 3-4 months. During this time, I've purchased all of my equipment which mostly don't comply with DIR.

However, I do realize the benefits of DIR and I am planning to go DIR in the
future. I believe although I'll stay in the recreational diving realm, DIR approach
will help me to dive safer. I'm planning to transition to DIR slowly whenever I
can afford the next change.

As a first step, I'm considering converting my conventional regulator/octo setup;

MK25/S600 R190 scubapro DIN

to a

DIN MK25
5 ft long hose S600
22'' hose S600 with a bungee

for single tank (HP100 steel), no overhead environment setup. I've been very happy
with my regulator so far (except for occasional bubbles on my face.)

As long as the airflow is
adjusted properly (venturi/pre-dive, etc.) would it cause any problems on
a bungee around my neck?

Does anybody have a similar 2 x S600 setup like this?

The S600 is an excellent reg, but any reg can cause problems.

What type of BC are you using?

My advice, stay with your MK25 (don't waste money switching to DIN..no need) but buy a 7ft long hose instead of a 5ft. Maybe consider taking a fundies class within the next year. (That will make the whole "DIR" mindset much easier to understand) :D

I have a 7ft hose on my MK25, and trust me, go with that length. 5ft could be an issue length wise. I was also a bit skeptical initially, but after first couple of dives, it made perfect sense (I tuck it under the belt as I don't have a cannister light).

I however, have two first stages on a single tank, MK25 with X650 and MK2+ with R390, which makes it a crowd. :)

My doubles regs are MK25/S600s, and I love them.

Second (or third) the recommendation just to go ahead with the 7' hose, if you are using a BP/W setup. The 5' is a bit easier to manage with a traditional BC.

Those regs are fine.... Actually as long as the regs are safe and diva-a-ble they can be used

and like Cobb said Get into a classs, if you cannot get into a class right away

STOP!

Do not buy anything else and find your self a DIR mentor....

Oh and Ebay is our friend :wink:

tceylan:
As a first step, I'm considering converting my conventional regulator/octo setup;

MK25/S600 R190 scubapro DIN

to a

DIN MK25
5 ft long hose S600
22'' hose S600 with a bungee

Keep the 190. It's fine (and possibly preferable) as a backup regulator. It breathes fine at recreational depths. I dive a Mk25/S600/R190 for my singles rig.

If you don't have a backplate yet, stick with the 5ft hose. On a conventional BC, a 7ft hose is pretty difficult to manage. If you have a backplate/wing, just go with a 7 fter.

I don't know Scubapro regs, but rather than switching out your whole reg set, you might consider just upgrading the octo to be the same as your main second stage. That's the reg you're going to be using if it hits the fan.

I have a traditional BC (zeagle ranger ltd). I was thinking about a 5ft hose
because I will not be diving in any wrecks/caves. Is 5ft more suitable
for open water dives? Or is the preferred length still 7ft in this case?

The reason for going for a S600 reg for my backup is that I do deep dives
over 100ft often. Should I situation occur, I would like a reg that performs as
good as S600. (Also in the future, I might possibly dive deeper than recreational
limits. Of course with proper training, etc.)

I haven't looked for a DIR class in San Diego area, but I'm going for a DM class very soon and my instructor dives DIR.

I can't buy a BP/W this year. So, I'll be diving with a BC for a while...

Hoses are cheap. The 5' hose is no longer recommended for DIR divers for any diving, but it is much easier to manage with a traditional BC, and the important thing is that the primary motion for donation is the same. It's entirely reasonable to go to the 5' hose while you're still using your BC, and then spend the $40 (or maybe less, if you buy from Mo2 or Archangel) for a 7' hose when you get your BP/W.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom