DIR setup and brands... ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stefusa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi I know that DIR have a set of rules that reduces a lot of wings (mostly dive rite and OMS)
So what are the brands that are in line with DIR specifications.
Ok I know, HALCYON but what about the others....
Golem gear, DSS, Oxycheq.... and the one i am missing..

Thanks for the infos.
I am setting my first single BC and I want to do the things right the first time...:eyebrow:

stefusa:
Hi I know that DIR have a set of rules that reduces a lot of wings (mostly dive rite and OMS)

Thanks for the infos.
I am setting my first single BC and I want to do the things right the first time...:eyebrow:

You can certainly DIR with OMS. MAYBE same for DR but I don't know much about DR gear.

Agir is DIR right from the get go.

The other's that you mentioned can also be used DIR.

What'cha gettin' at?

stefusa:

Thanks for the infos.

Go to gue.com and read the standards. It spells out what you need.

There are currently many choices of gear that is either DIR compliant out of the box, or can be made compliant. The tweeks required can range from $0 to real money if you get the wrong wing or harness.

It is also quite possible to buy a currently available BP&W, and have only the BackPlate itself be useable for a DIR compliant rig.

A few things to avoid:

Bungeed wings

Excessively long inflator hoses

Multiple OPV, and or cable pull dumps.

Excessively large wings

Multi piece harnesses and or harnesses with quick releases.

I used DSS gear in my fundies class, and recieved no equipment related "demerits"

Let me know if you have questions about DSS gear.

Tobin

Get a copy of Dan MacKays book Dress for Sucess. It'll give you all the info you need about buying DIR gear. Its available through the GUE website or Northern Tech Diver.

What's considered to be an "excessively long inflator hose"? The one on my Agir 38lbs doubles wing is ~16 inches.

SparticleBrane:
What's considered to be an "excessively long inflator hose"? The one on my Agir 38lbs doubles wing is ~16 inches.

The absolute length is not important as this will depend on just where the hose comes off the wing. It should be long enough to easily go in your mouth but not hang down too far out of the bungee loop on your left chest D.

I haven't seen the doubles Agir but their single wing is bang on DIR. I bet your inflator hose is exactly RIGHT. Ask JeffG... he uses one.

JeffG and I have corresponded many times about this wing, lol. His posts convinced me to buy one, in fact. I just got it a few days ago and haven't had a chance to use it yet. Need to get a doubles rig set up first. :D

I use a dirzone wing.

dirzone_wing.jpg

barth:
I use a dirzone wing.

dirzone_wing.jpg
Looks suspiciously like an Eclipse. Isn't DIRzone just Halcyon gear with a different logo?

FWIW - My Oxycheq, Halcyon, and DSS wings are all DIR-compliant right out of the box.

SB - 16" is pretty standard for doubles wings. Most DIR-compliant singles wings come with a 13" inflator hose.

Some wings come with 24" inflator hoses, some also come with pull dumps. Those are not DIR-compliant. But inflator hoses are easily removed and replaced.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom