dir regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arcaporale:
I think there might be a difference with the atx 50 100 200 2nd stages regarding removable crowns depending on when they were made, not sure on the specifics. But I was told not to get the 200 because the crown wasn't removable.

Forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to regulator parts terminology - which part of the second stage is referred to as the "crown" ?

I always thought the crown refers to the removable H.P. valve seat inside a first stage (in the case of the FSR aka ATX/XTX200 first stage: the FST and DST first stages lack this feature).

ams511:
I have a strange collection if Apeks regs: 2 Beuchat VX-10's (Apeks TX-50's with DST's), 1 Zeagle 50D (Apeks TX-50 with DS4), and I just bought a Apeks ATX-100 on Fleabay. That is why I was wondering if they can me upgraded.

I really like the TX series second stages - not sure about upgrades but you could "pimp your regs" with these solid stainless steel adjustment knobs/screws:

http://www.dustcap.halcyon-hk.com/regknobs.html

Vie:
Forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to regulator parts terminology - which part of the second stage is referred to as the "crown" ?
I believe Arcaporale is referring to the front cover. I think what happened is that Apeks modified their second stage design a few years ago to include a retaining pin for the front covers. I believe this was done so that the regs would meet the requirements for a CE rating (similar to the "UL rating" in the US). The issue is not really that the covers aren't removable, it's that the pin must be removed first, which usually requires a tool.

My memory on this is a little fuzzy so I could have some of the details wrong. If anyone can elaborate more, then please don't hesitate to do so.

Vie:
Well. I didn't say anything about upgrades but the fact remains that the Apeks 50, 100, and 200 second stages are identical apart from cosmetic differences - this is of course within the series, i.e. the TX50 and TX100 are basically the same (there was no TX200), the ATX50, ATX100, ATX200 are basically the same, the XTX50, XTX100 and XTX200 are basically the same and so on. The 50s (be it the TX50, ATX50 or the XTX50) have a different (shinier) finish on the visible metal parts from the 100/200s

Apeks regs may only need servicing every other year but one would still have to change the filter on the first stage and fully service the second stage annually in order to not void the warranty/first owner lifetime guarantee....

Sorry - I was trying to respond to the earlier post from someone else asking if they were 'upgradable' for improved performance. For some reason it didnt post where I wanted it!

Vie:

I always thought the crown refers to the removable H.P. valve seat inside a first stage (in the case of the FSR aka ATX/XTX200 first stage: the FST and DST first stages lack this feature).

Looking at the ATX 200 service manual I just downloaded, the "crown orifice" as they call it is a part in the valve body of the 2nd stage. You can adjust it to control the height of the lever. I just took my 2nd stage apart to see for myself, while the service manual says it is indeed removable, I couldnt manage to get mine out although I could adjust it, which doesn't seem right considering the manual calls for you to replace to o-ring inside of it. This is making me think perhaps they may have recently changed the design, or I was just doing something wrong when trying to take it out. I purchased mine about 9-10 months ago, and the service manual I am looking at was published in 2002.

Chris, you seem to know alot about Apeks regs since you work on them, got any info on this?

DIR-Atlanta:
I believe Arcaporale is referring to the front cover. I think what happened is that Apeks modified their second stage design a few years ago to include a retaining pin for the front covers. I believe this was done so that the regs would meet the requirements for a CE rating (similar to the "UL rating" in the US). The issue is not really that the covers aren't removable, it's that the pin must be removed first, which usually requires a tool.

My memory on this is a little fuzzy so I could have some of the details wrong. If anyone can elaborate more, then please don't hesitate to do so.

No, this isn't the crown I was refering to. My Apeks regs are less than a year old and have no retaining pin in them, nor a hole for one. I've only seen this pin in the scubapro regs, like my S555 and my S600. For technical diving, esp. DIR these pins should be removed and left out so you can get into the reg durring a dive to remove debris if needed.

Chris at Silent World:
Sorry - I was trying to respond to the earlier post from someone else asking if they were 'upgradable' for improved performance. For some reason it didnt post where I wanted it!

Oh, I see! My apologies for the misunderstanding/confusion.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom