dir regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the market for regs right now. I'm probably going to get some XTX50s with DS4s. I like the fact that they're sealed...as far as I know, the MK25s aren't. (am I wrong?)

SparticleBrane:
I'm in the market for regs right now. I'm probably going to get some XTX50s with DS4s. I like the fact that they're sealed...as far as I know, the MK25s aren't. (am I wrong?)

The mk20/25s are not sealed. Unless your diving in the arctic or lake superior the lack of sealing seems irrelevant. I've been in 43F water and had no problems with mine. They breath fantastic with the s600 second stage.

I have compared with dive rite2500, apeksds4/tx50, mk18-g250, an aqualung micra, an el cheapo mares, and an atomic - the model of which escapes me.

The mk20/25s+s600 rocks!

I think what concerns me the most is that I've seen MK25s in person and you can look in through the slots on the side and see the spring. That just......bothers me. Since I'm hoping to jump in some rivers around here locally in a few months I don't like the idea of gunk getting in the reg.

I'll probably end up getting the XTX50s with DS4s. I can get a nice deal on 'em. :wink:

SparticleBrane:
I think what concerns me the most is that I've seen MK25s in person and you can look in through the slots on the side and see the spring. That just......bothers me. Since I'm hoping to jump in some rivers around here locally in a few months I don't like the idea of gunk getting in the reg.

I'll probably end up getting the XTX50s with DS4s. I can get a nice deal on 'em. :wink:

If you know where to look, the spring is visible on just about every piston reg out there.

Hi all,

This debate crops up regularly at our shop, with the Scubapro camp v's the Apeks crowd. It often gets heated! Heres my twopenneth for anyone whose interested:)

I rent and service both piston and diaphragm regulators. Piston regs without a shadow of a doubt suffer more from salt water corrosion than diaphragm designs. They will in my opinion require servicing more frequently in order to remove deposits, corrosion, degraded o-rings/washers/shims etc. Some diaphragm regs however, do not perform as well as piston types after being flooded. (Dust cap left off during rinsing or a deliberate hot swap underwater) Not such a big deal for fresh water divers.

The Scubapro's have a more flexible hose routing option with the LP port on the top of the turret, and some of the Apeks regs will drive you crazy with the 1/2" primary port if you are running doubles.

Also - no slurping with newer Apeks regs and the overbalanced 2nd stages are awesome, breathe fantastically and are a dream to service.

I would put the MK25 and the DS4 as a "draw", they are so close in performance, but I dont think anything beats the ATX100 / XTX100 for tech diving.

Cheers

Chris

Well I just ordered 2 XTX50s with DS4s, so I hope I enjoy them. :wink:

I can't speak to the servicing requirements of the mk20/25s. Mine are in warranty and I bring them in every year 'cause its quite a bargain.

Chris at Silent World:
Hi all,

This debate crops up regularly at our shop, with the Scubapro camp v's the Apeks crowd. It often gets heated! Heres my twopenneth for anyone whose interested:)

I rent and service both piston and diaphragm regulators. Piston regs without a shadow of a doubt suffer more from salt water corrosion than diaphragm designs. They will in my opinion require servicing more frequently in order to remove deposits, corrosion, degraded o-rings/washers/shims etc. Some diaphragm regs however, do not perform as well as piston types after being flooded. (Dust cap left off during rinsing or a deliberate hot swap underwater) Not such a big deal for fresh water divers.

The Scubapro's have a more flexible hose routing option with the LP port on the top of the turret, and some of the Apeks regs will drive you crazy with the 1/2" primary port if you are running doubles.

Also - no slurping with newer Apeks regs and the overbalanced 2nd stages are awesome, breathe fantastically and are a dream to service.

I would put the MK25 and the DS4 as a "draw", they are so close in performance, but I dont think anything beats the ATX100 / XTX100 for tech diving.

Cheers

Chris

Are Apeks upgradable like Scubapro's are? For example an old 109 can have the parts swapped out to breath like an S-600.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom