dir regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi all, what apeks reg do most dir divers choose, by that i mean first stage and second stage, what is the overall most commonly used one ?

I would recommend you look into the hose routing issue as well. DS4 is a popular 1st stage but the hose routings on AL80 aren't as nice as steel (longer tank necks) if you are using them for doubles. More over, this may also depends on the double wing you are using. For example, Halycon Explorer sits nicer with my DS4s then the Evolve.

As for 2nd stages, popular choices are TX50/100/200, ATX50/100/200, and/or the newer XTX50/100/200.

I would seriously look into Scubapro regs if I am starting all over again.

I dive DS4's on my doubles

Even with some of the steels (PST) the hoses are kinking at not so nice angles.... On the Worthington X7-100's and LP 85's (longer necks) there's not so much kink in the hoses.

I used to dive the DS4's ... and switched to MK-25's because they route cleaner.

For second stages I have both Apeks and ScubaPro. I prefer the S600 because it doesn't "slurp" when I invert, as the Apeks second stages do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
For second stages I have both Apeks and ScubaPro. I prefer the S600 because it doesn't "slurp" when I invert, as the Apeks second stages do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I need to dig around and see if I can find more info on this. I remember when I first got into diving my friend gave me a DST/TX50 (zeagle branded). I didn't know squat at the time and just got it serviced and dove it. I noticed that I didn't like that slurp if I inverted. I switched regs to one where there was no "slurp". After a while, and getting into DIR, I switched back to the reg and and changed the first to a DS4. I guess I don't invert much, because I doesn't bother me, but it's still there.

All that is really beside the point and leading to the fact that somewhere here in the annals of scubaboard, there is a thread where it is discussed and someone mentioned that if you change the diaphragm in the second to some other brand, then the slurp went away. I didn't pay attention at the time because I knew no better and wanted to spend money on "my own" reg that didn't "slurp" :)

So, if anyone happens to know about changing the apeks diaphragm and its results on "slurp", that would be appreciated.

Chris

NWGratefulDiver:
I used to dive the DS4's ... and switched to MK-25's because they route cleaner.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use APEKS, and right now am always praying that I get to be the "Out of gas diver" so I get th breathe from a Scubapro reg (S600 and Mk25 I think). It breathes *way* better than the DS4

limeyx:
I use APEKS, and right now am always praying that I get to be the "Out of gas diver" so I get th breathe from a Scubapro reg (S600 and Mk25 I think). It breathes *way* better than the DS4

But typically don't piston regs always breath better than diaphram regs? Assuming both are quality regs.

ams511:
But typically don't piston regs always breath better than diaphram regs? Assuming both are quality regs.

I have SP mk17s (diaphram) and SP mk10s (piston). I've used an SP d300, g250 and s550 on each type of 1st stage. I haven't noticed a real difference that I could attribute to the diaphram vs piston thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom