DIR Pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
Kind of like pulling on that one little sweater thread. Big mistake! :06:

Hmmm, yeah ... or like the other day when I noticed a thread hanging off my glove about 5 minutes into the dive. Pulled about 2 feet of thread out of the seam ... then noticed my hand was getting a little cold ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Don't do that to your drysuit! LOL

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm, yeah ... or like the other day when I noticed a thread hanging off my glove about 5 minutes into the dive. Pulled about 2 feet of thread out of the seam ... then noticed my hand was getting a little cold ... :11:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

gfisher4792:
So, if I open my buckle to adjust it, the webbing might fly out of my hand, shoot through all my BP slots, undo my tank bands, unscrew my first stage, and dump my weight belt? Wow, webbing is dangerous!

Unless you are using a TransPac, in which case the loose webbing will snag itself on one of the multiple D-rings exactly where you want it.

Boogie711:
Oh geez - it's priceless:
There is something similar in NSS-CDS cavern manual about using drop weights.

My favourite was "Make sure all the people on the trip are not beginners like yourself !"
So the advice to a beginner is to only do advanced outings.
That's one way to move up the learning curve. :wink:

Oh man... this is too easy...

If anything, a same-source octopus may actually increase your own personal risk by doubling the chance of a second stage regulator failure or free-flow.

His solution? Carry more! Even with a pony, you have two second stages that can free-flow/fail. The major benefit is being able to shut one off... which isn't mentioned in his rant.

One design that at least minimizes some of the handling problems of the conventional octopus is the integrated BC inflator. Not only is the combined inflator/regulator always handy when you need it, but when it inevitably free-flows, you can simply pop off the quick connect on the air hose. Then reconnect the hose, and hopefully it will work again. If not, just leave it disconnected, and use the oral inflator, or your drysuit inflator if you are using one.

Roflroflrofl... so... integrated regulators/inflators are going to freeflow... but, no big deal, just disconnect it! Oh... oops... I disconnected it... buddy just went OOA... hope he can wait for me to get it hooked back up again! Wasn't he just whining about task loading? Isn't this much worse then a couple pesky d-rings?

I have found no correlation between annual servicing and regulator performance ( and my regs probably see a lot more and harder use than yours. )

If I wasn't scared before... now I'm terrified.

In fact, even on shallow dives I have still a backup air supply - it's 20 ft straight up, and it's as big as the whole world

Attn All Training Agencies: Please stop teaching gas planning. No longer necessary. Infite gas is always available... just head to the surface!

Some folks say Sea Snips are a useful adjunct to a knife. I say they are just an extra piece of junk to get in your way. Don't waste your money.

See previous comment about being terrified. Just crapped pants. Hiding in corner. Afraid to dive in New Jersey.

And finally...

After helping with yet another Open-Water class, I have come to the conclusion that the snorkel should be banned from scuba diving. It is nothing but a source of confusion and problems for students, and wastes valuable course time that could be spent on more important skills. Don't even waste your money on one - you'll never use it again.

I don't use mine all the time... and neither do most divers... but most of us still carry one, even if it means a foldy in a pocket. There's those certain unforseeable circumstances when you really wish you had one.

Just want to take a quick break from the humor and point out I like the site. It is a great site for referancing wrecks, dive boats and dive shops in NJ/NY. Rich does a great job of keeping his links active and working. Read his intro and you will see this is just something he does for fun for fellow wreck divers. It actually started with him creating the site to practice code. anyway im not going to defend anything in his gear/training section because i could care less. I have gear and know how to dive. with that said, anyone who lives in the area should check out this site. although, im guessing if your an active wrecker you are aware of it and Rich. If not, its great for planning dives. His wreck, boat and shop lists/links are priceless. I and many use this site every week to decide what wrecks we are going to hit. Make fun of it all you want but its actually a great site and Rich is a good guy for maintaining it.

cornfed:
There is something similar in NSS-CDS cavern manual about using drop weights.
I can guarantee that 100% of the time that you will come out the same way you go in with a cavern dive, so you might just pass those same weights at the entrance - unless some cheeky OW or free diver has nicked them! :wink:

weekender:
Just want to take a quick break from the humor and point out I like the site. It is a great site for referancing wrecks, dive boats and dive shops in NJ/NY.

The marine biology section is also nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom