DIR octo location?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, just wondering something... DIR octo location is bungeed around your neck...

I was trying to figure out someway to make it less annoying (I find it irritating dangling around my neck... it just hangs there like a pendulum..swinging forward and back)

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to keep it from swinging forward and back (without the thing choking you to death of course!!! :lol:)

What if it was bungeed to the left chest strap (maybe to the left D-ring or something?) so that it doesn't dangle as much? It would still hold it in the same position, and the bungee is easy to break in case of emergency.

I didn't mind it so much at first, but the more you find yourself in different positions, the more annoyed I got... it kept hitting my chin, or swinging around... it didn't hit anything mind you... I was just wondering if there was a way of securing it further... velcro? or re-position the bungee?

Just wondering.

Well if you have your backup reg (octo) attached any other way then it isn't DIR. So I guess you have to ask yourself first, if you are wanting to be DIR or just like some of the gear configuration aspects of it. Otherwise you are prtty much reinventing the wheel so to speek.

I have no problem with my back up reg in the bungged position that it is in. Maybe your necklace is just too long, have you tried making it shorter? You shoul dbe able to just bend your head down and have the reg right there to grab in your mouth.

I think wendy hit it....if the reg is dangling and swinging around, try shortening up the necklace a bit....

Wendy, ya..I know... there's no such thing a 'part DIR'...

Ok, maybe I exaggerated a bit... it's not swinging around as much as I described...

All I want is for it to stay fixed/stuck to the area of my collarbone (where it sits when you're standing on dry land) ... even underwater, in whatever position I'm floating in...I don't want it to move around, even a little... but I obviously don't want the thing to choke me.

BTW, I'm not a DIR diver... I haven't taken any GUE course or even the DIR-F course... I just like the gear config... and I was just wondering if there was a safe way of fixing the octo to keep it from floating away from your body until you needed it.

Like I said, it's not an issue... just something that bugged me. I was wondering if anyone ever tried any other way.

Wendy, Big, thanks for your replies! :D

mine doesn't move...I don't even notice it...the hose is short so it stays put...don't use a 36" octo hose :D

jplacson once bubbled...
I was trying to figure out someway to make it less annoying (I find it irritating dangling around my neck... it just hangs there like a pendulum..swinging forward and back)

As others have already stated, correct length necklace an correct length hose go a long way towards making this method "comfortable."

Deciding what length necklace you like can be a bit trying. When I first tried this method I hated it; I just didnt like anything around my neck. Now, I don't even notice it's there.

One way to adjust for proper fit for the necklace would be to place the backup reg in your mouth, and adjust the necklace so that it fits just snug enough to keep the reg in place. You'll probably find this is a good starting place.

Another thing that may affect the way it feels is the type of material you are using. Some people use bungee cord, some people use surgical rubber and some of these may feel "looser" to you.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Another thing that may affect the way it feels is the type of material you are using. Some people use bungee cord, some people use surgical rubber and some of these may feel "looser" to you.

I use surgical tubing now. The big stuff. Not speargun big, but bigger than some. I don't even notice it.

K

where can I find info on where to put everything according to the DIR methods??

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom