DIR Liftbag deployment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...
... but I still prefer not disconnecting hoses u/w.

WW
Thanks. My thoughts exactly. I should have educated myself a little more on this before buying. Looks like OC is the way to go when diving wetsuit 100% of the time.

WYDT once bubbled...
I usually try to fill the top of my SMB with He and the bottom with Argon since the argon is heavier it makes it stand up better.
That is exactly what I do! It took awhile to get the technique down and get the proportion of gases just right... but done correctly it stands the SMB straight up and down for better surface visibility.

I carry 3 lift bags on every dive.

I shoot a red, open bottom bag on a majority of the dives I do, I keep it tied off to a spool, in a pocket ready to go. Pull it out, put a little gas in it and off it goes.

I keep a red, 6ft long CC liftbag in the storage pack attached to my backplate. I almost never use it. It's for when the boat is a LONG way away.

My third bag is greenish yellow and has both CO2 and manual inflation. It's tied off to my fish stringer which is clipped to a d-ring. At some point I'm going to write "FISH ON" on it. I only use the CO2 inflation when there's a shark REALLY CLOSE, otherwise I manually inflate it before I ascend and let the boat fetch it.

I'm also working on a breakaway system for one of my guns. It has a sea-anchor and auto inflating bag in a 3" PVC tube with a rip cord release. Almost finished making it, might get to test it this weekend. In theory, I shoot a fish, if it's too big to handle, I pull the rip cord, the line, sea anchor and bag deploy and I watch the fish go to the surface. I get to take my sweet time ascending without having to entertain the sharks. I plan to use it only on deeper dives and bigger fish. If I don’t pull the rip cord, it works just like a regular gun.

E

WYDT once bubbled...

It's no big deal but can be difficult if not practiced. It's no big deal because you're going up and should be venting the wing (or BC) anyway and if you need a small adjustment while it's unhooked you can just use the oral inflator.

Tips:
1. Don't put too much air in the bag to begin with.
2. Keep the spool wound tight and close to the bag while inflating.

I usually try to fill the top of my SMB with He and the bottom with Argon since the argon is heavier it makes it stand up better. :wink:

How do you get the He in the top, mine only has one inlet hose on the bottom.
You would have to be carefull not to shake the bag too much and let the gasses mix.

Dave

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
You would have to be carefull not to shake the bag too much and let the gasses mix.

Dave

They're jerking your chain Dave :)

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
They're jerking your chain Dave
Just because you haven't mastered the technique is no reason to get snippy, skippy!

Dave... it is all in the order of gas introduction... first you inflate the bag with your wing inflator (Helium) and then add just enough gas from your suit inflator (Argon) to get the desired effect. :wink:

BTW... WW... actually we're jerking your chain :D

Dave

What we really need here is an icon that represents sarchasm.......:rolleyes:

Just to wander back to the original posts......

I cant count how many times I have gotten back on the boat with my inflator unplugged.

But I also cant think of a time when I needed to INFLATE my wing after deploying a bag.

Perhaps one day I WILL find that treasure chest of gold and I may need to, until that day, its CC bags for me.

Dave

What we really need here is an icon that represents sarchasm.......:rolleyes:
You got him square Dave!

WW... while you might not want to admit that your chain was jerked... :D

Everyone else reading this thread knows that you were sucked right into Dave's post and tried to convince him that he was having his chain jerked....

Bwahahahahaha ahhahahhhahahahha...

Ahem....snicker....

good one Dave. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom