DIR Liftbag deployment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

I 'spect those three little letters *DIR* scared the duckbill bag bunch away from this thread...

BTW, 5thD is now carrying an OC bag with the duckbill open bottom... and I thought I saw "Halcyon" on it :eek:
Search for a thread I posted about the 2003 Halcyon catalog...there is now a Halcyon open circuit bag for wetsuit divers and others that prefer an open circuit bag.

FWIW, I carry the Big Dive Alert marker on all dives and use that...I like it because it doubles as a safety sausage with nice reflective tape on it. Most of my buddies carry the Halcyon 80# lift bag though..

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Yes... it is a burden I bear.

:puke:

Thought I'd just post here, even though thread is old.

I just received my Halcyon SMB (Super Big) w/ 52 pounds of lift. I also received at the same time the 80# lift bag.

My question is: How safe is it to hook up your LP power inflator hose to your marker? Seems like a good way to get a free rocket ride to the surface if you're not careful. Is there some other way of doing this? I don't dive a drysuit, so my only LP hose is the one to the inflator. Also, how do you control the air flow? Sorry for the stupid question, but Halcyon evidently does not include product literature with anything they sell.

tampascott once bubbled...
Thought I'd just post here, even though thread is old.

I just received my Halcyon SMB (Super Big) w/ 52 pounds of lift. I also received at the same time the 80# lift bag.

My question is: How safe is it to hook up your LP power inflator hose to your marker? Seems like a good way to get a free rocket ride to the surface. Is there some other way of doing this? I don't dive a drysuit, so my only LP hose is the one to the inflator. Also, how do you control the air flow? Sorry for the stupid question, but Halcyon evidently does not include product literature with anything they sell.

It won't "hook up", you just push it on and inflate, it doesn't lock. You can also orally inflate it (blow it up).

Personally I don't use CC bags.

WW

it is safe to hook up your LP hose to the liftbag since it doesnt lock in place. It is very easy that way to control airflow to the bag. So if you ever put too much air in the bag the LP hose wont be the problem. You can use the vent or in worst case just let it go.

That would make sense. I couldn't imagine a system in which the bag locked to the inflator hose, but what the heck do I know, I've never shot a lift bag before!

How desirable is it to intentionally disconnect your LP hose from your power inflator? Yes, I know you should be able to hook it back up without a problem. Is this routinly done for surface markers or lift bags?

My question is: How safe is it to hook up your LP power inflator hose to your marker? Seems like a good way to get a free rocket ride to the surface if you're not careful. Is there some other way of doing this? I don't dive a drysuit, so my only LP hose is the one to the inflator. Also, how do you control the air flow? Sorry for the stupid question, but Halcyon evidently does not include product literature with anything they sell.

I'm not an expert at this, but here's what I know. The inflator hose does not "hook up" to the inlet of the marker. You have to push the inflator hose against the inlet fitting on the marker to get air into the marker. There is no locking fitting on the marker, so the hose won't lock in, to avoid just what you mentioned. Also, you really don't want to be unhooking your lp inflator hose underwater when diving wet. Wetsuit divers usually go for open circuit markers to avoid this issue. You control the airflow by eyeballing it - you put little puffs of air into the marker until it's right - depends on your depth.

we were doing a dive on the Northern Light in Key Largo and on the ascent it was my task to shoot a bag at 70'. As I reached for my bag one of my buddies handed me his. Too late I realized it was a Halcyon CC bag.

OK, no biggie, I know the theory of shooting this thing :) Hook my spool to it, pop my LPI hose off (was diving wet), bring the bag up close enough to my inflater hose.....

Damn it! Someone get this stupid thing out of my face! Get this line off of me! I can't tell how much gas is in the bag, its too close...Hmmmmmm..... Take this thing back please, I want my open circuit bag.

I was extremely uncomfortable with the bag and rigging up that close to my head. I prefer an OC bag that I can hold out well in front of me and inflate in a controlled manner.

If one were diving dry it would be easier but I still prefer not disconnecting hoses u/w.

WW

How desirable is it to intentionally disconnect your LP hose from your power inflator? Yes, I know you should be able to hook it back up without a problem. Is this routinly done for surface markers or lift bags?

It's no big deal but can be difficult if not practiced. It's no big deal because you're going up and should be venting the wing (or BC) anyway and if you need a small adjustment while it's unhooked you can just use the oral inflator.

Tips:
1. Don't put too much air in the bag to begin with.
2. Keep the spool wound tight and close to the bag while inflating.

I usually try to fill the top of my SMB with He and the bottom with Argon since the argon is heavier it makes it stand up better. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom