DIR in Southern Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
That would be a handsome mature man that works for peanuts because he's a dummy.

OK, I was afraid it was going to be you . So, who's the new instructor? :D

Hi guys; amusingly enough, I'm writing this from Portland airport; so I'm closer than you think :wink:

The doubles requirement is per GUE, as it is now promoting two paths for DIR-F. To qualify for the "technical" certification (i.e. move on to Cave or Tech), you need to take the class in doubles, primary light, etc.

You can still take the class in singles; however, you will not receive the endorsement which allows you to move on to Tech and Cave. I believe this is now the standard, although the standards have not yet been published; we should have a clear idea by the end of the year.

Sorry for the confusion, and hopefully that helps clarify.

joe

So for those of us like me, who don't have a snowball's chance of passing, especially a tech certification but would eventually like to move on to that type of diving, what would be the prudent course of action? Take the course in doubles and struggle, or take it with single tanks, and do better on something you are trying to migrate away from?

PerroneFord:
Take the course in doubles and struggle, or take it with single tanks, and do better on something you are trying to migrate away from?

If my reading comprehension serves me, taking it with a single does not appear to be an option if you want to pursue the tech certs.

This is totally dependant on your time frame of wanting to move towards Tec. If it is in the near future,(2-3months) seems like doubles is the way. If it is in your future but more distant, 6 mo. to a year or more) Go singles. Learn all you can. Most of what you will learn will pertain to both singles or doubles. Practice. If someone near you offers a doubles class, you might want to jump in. In some areas, enough of a community has been created that people often transition to doubles on their own, i.e. they practice with others that are ahead of them in training and then prepare for a check-out dive. Also, checking in with potential Tec instructor prior to class is a good idea. Best, Bob

PerroneFord:
So for those of us like me, who don't have a snowball's chance of passing, especially a tech certification but would eventually like to move on to that type of diving, what would be the prudent course of action? Take the course in doubles and struggle, or take it with single tanks, and do better on something you are trying to migrate away from?

dherbman:
If my reading comprehension serves me, taking it with a single does not appear to be an option if you want to pursue the tech certs.

My point was that since I am not likely to pass the course regardless of configuration, and thus would be taking it twice anyway, would it be best to take it the FIRST time in a single. The idea being to get most of the class lessons in a config that makes it easier to work on, then transition to doubles on my own, and head back to class in the future with doubles, and hopefully most of skills intact.

Bob Sherwood:
This is totally dependant on your time frame of wanting to move towards Tec. If it is in the near future,(2-3months) seems like doubles is the way. If it is in your future but more distant, 6 mo. to a year or more) Go singles. Learn all you can. Most of what you will learn will pertain to both singles or doubles. Practice. If someone near you offers a doubles class, you might want to jump in. In some areas, enough of a community has been created that people often transition to doubles on their own, i.e. they practice with others that are ahead of them in training and then prepare for a check-out dive. Also, checking in with potential Tec instructor prior to class is a good idea. Best, Bob

Bob, thanks, you hit the nail on the head. I had planned to take the courses about 8-12 months apart with AOW in the middle.

The idea of going to DIRF on singles, processing as much as I can, and then making the slow transition to doubles makes the most sense. I actually used doubles in my class a month ago so that was a very nice intro, but since they were borrowed and I didn't have my own to work with, I was somewhat apprehensive about signing up for DIRF and doing it with doubles.

I have a fair number of doubles divers near me, but very few who do open water. So it makes things a lot harder. I may be able to convince a few of them to work with me in open water if I spot the fills, food, and transportation! :D

I have heard wonderful things about your DIRF class and had thought of flying up to you to take it. Unfortunately, the timing is all wrong, and since I don't dive dry, I'd have to wait until the summer. So I may be taking it in High Springs or down with D.M. this winter.

Thanks for your response.

FWIW, I think there will be a pretty good success rate utilizing the new standards for rec. We are most likely going to do one in Cayman's in March 5-8th, and possibly one in Fl mid feb, around High springs. Let me know if you are interested. Both are warm enough for wet. Cayman's....much better<G> <Tease> Best, Bob

LOL,

JJ has already asked me if I could meet the late Jan. timeframe for a class in High Springs so I think I'll try to do that one. If not, I'll see about a Feb class there on in Ft. Lauderdale.

Cayman's sounds lovely, but it's in the middle of my season, so that's a no go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom