DIR in Southern Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo:
First of all, Joe Talavera (http://gue.com/info/resumes/talavera.html) and Delia Milliron (http://gue.com/info/resumes/dmilliron.shtml) are in GUE's instructor database. Joe is a full time instructor who does most of 5thd-x rec level training. However, this bit of trivia only answers the question, "are 5thd-x instructors certified to teach GUE rec classes?"

The question that the poster is asking is something fundamentally different. That question is, "where can one go for DIR training?" As you know, the other primary figure in 5thd-x, Andrew Georgitsis, has a long history with DIR and GUE. Though Andrew no longer has a relationship with GUE (as I understand it), IMHO, it would be inappropriate to characterize his diving philosophy and the diving community that he and 5thd-x are building to be anything other than DIR. And WRT tech diving, it would be incredibly difficult to find instructors in the west coast more qualified and accomplished as the gang at 5thd-x.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking for the class where everyone has a big truck.

PorcuFin:
Sorry for the confusion. I'm looking for the class where everyone has a big truck.

Yet again, we lose another potential teammate due to internet bantering....

Porcu -

Please follow the link below and contact an instructor. Most, if not all are willing to travel to teach classes. Another possibility is for you to go to an instructor. This is what I did the first time I took GUE Fundamentals. I wanted to escape the nasty winter and take the class. Solution found.

http://www.gue.com/info/instruct.shtml

PorcuFin:

Don't look at me. I'm a no good whimpy liberal who would rather be driving a little honda civic. (I drive my wife's leftovers so I really don't get to pick my own car).

In all seriousness, if you do decide to do the travel route, Monterey has really great diving. Assuming that you dive you're local area, you should already probably have adequate exposure protection for the water here (around low to mid 50s). Lodging can be had for as low as $55/night and there are lots of stuff to see/do. You could check with folks like TSandM to see what the experience is like in the Seattle area - the other area that seems convenient to go to for a class. They just got through their fundies class recently.

Cmon down here to Monterey... we have a couple of Tech 1 sites that you can kick to.. Monastery, Pt Lobos are a few... Plus there's a lot of active divers here that are DIR/DIR minded

Check out http://www.baue.org/ remember .org not .com :)

There has not been a great base yet established in OR, however, you are in the middle of well established training facilities in WA, and CA that are strong supporters of GUE/DIR. Fifth D in Seattle , Aquan in SFrancisco, both run regularly scheduled fundamentals courses taught by a range of instructors, both local and core GUE staff. The logistics are very good there and most likely your best bet shy of sponsoring a course. There are some that would welcome the opportunity to come to OR and start promoting GUE/DIR there as well. If you can not get accomadated, drop me a pm and I'll help from this end. best, Bob

PorcuFin:
Where does one have to go to get DIR training? There are three dive shops here. Two don't know what DIR is and the third--well let's just say they don't cater to technical divers. Do you have to travel to the big city or what?:06:

PorcuFin:

I live in S. OR, have a big truck AND have an interest in GUE training. There are a few like minded in the area, so it's likely a class could be put together if schedules could be coordinated.

I'm in the RV(Central Point), you?

Several folks have already pointed out 5thd-x, so I won't beat the drum anymore. I just wanted to extend a personal invitation to contact me with any questions on class content or logistics to help with you education.

Best way to do that is via email, joe@5thd-x.com.

Hope to see you diving,

Joe

dherbman:
I live in S. OR, have a big truck AND have an interest in GUE training. There are a few like minded in the area, so it's likely a class could be put together if schedules could be coordinated.

I'm in the RV(Central Point), you?

I'm in Jacksonville and I know one other guy who might be interested. I was thinking maybe in the summer--

I live in Klamath Falls and have been playing around with the idea of taking DIRF. Seeing as there seem to be several local people interested maybe we could bring an instructor up for the class somethime this summer?
I seem to remember seeing somwthing that said that you need about 4 people for it to be cost effective to bring an instructor in. Then again the vis won't be as good here as Monterey :wink: .

Summer could work for me. I'll speak with the LDS and see if they'd be open to us using their facility for the pool and class work. Somehting tells me it's just a question of money.

As for OW, there is 4-Mile lake, which has excellent vis, but is a bit on the cool side. The Illinois or Smith River have excellent vis and are pretty warm in Summer with some slow, deep spots.

I know of two others that would be in for sure. Does anyone have any interest in proceeding past Fundies? I'm on the slow boat to TechII at this point. No rush, but it would be great to develop a base here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom