DIR in Chicago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inter4alia

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am relatively new to diving and I'm considering taking the leap and buying my own BC, Regs, Wetsuit, etc. My first dive experience was in Cozumel and I just happened to end up on a boat with a group of divers all diving bp/w. They were all great divers and freely shared advice to me as a NOOB without ever mentioning DIR. After the trip I started to research the identical gear (Halcyon) they all wore and for the first time came upon information about DIR. So I recently read "Doing It Right" and am intrigued with the gear configuration, etc. Does anyone know of any DIR dive shops in the Chicagoland area where I might be able to check out some gear and strike up a discussion with shop about DIR issues? I'm not necessarily looking for a Halcyon specific shop, just any shops that cater to DIR regardless of brand affiliation. Thanks in advance.

There are no dive stores that are DIR in the Chicago area, all though many can get you backplates, wings, and all the DIR equipment.

<shameless plug>
If you're looking for DIR training or talk anything DIR in the Chicago area, see the link in my signature.
</shameless plug>

I can't point you in the direction of any DIR dive shops in Chicago. In fact, I would bet that I can count all the DIR shops in the US on one hand and certainly on two.:D

My advice - Hook up with Duane. He's fun to dive with, knows a bunch, and can get you started. If you decide you would like to pursue DIR farther he can help you with that too.

Also, DoItEasy is in the Chicago area. We hooked up for a charter and had a great time. He's also a great diver with plenty of knowledge to share.

And while there's no substitute for real diving, this forum is a great place to learn some of the text book details.

Good luck,

Hunter

Another plug for Duane (ppo2_diver). If you're in the Chicago area and are interested in DIR, or even if you're just interested in quality training, get in touch with Duane. He's very responsive to email and he has a ton of info on his website.

ok I'll give Duane a plug too. He's a great person to learn from.

If by "DIR shop" you mean a shop that only sells DIR equipment, I doubt that there is such a shop anywhere. Even Jarrod Jablonsky's shop does not meet that criterion. If you mean a shop that sells DIR equipment and has knowledgeable DIR divers on their sales staff who will steer you to DIR only equipment, I am afraid that you are not going to find such a shop in the Chicago area. If, however, you mean a store that can provide you with DIR equipment if you already know what you need, there are a few. Elmer's, Toucan, Scuba Systems and IID come immediately to mind. You will need the guidance of your technical instructor or mentor to help you purchase the appropriate equipment.

As for instruction, Duane, Bo Harper and I all teach technical classes along the DIR/Hogarthian path, although I do not think that any one of us claims to be 100% DIR.

In the years since the term "DIR" was first coined there has been a continuous evolution of what is considered to be DIR. When GI3 was promoting the system he was famous for saying that DIR was what he said it was and that was it. George allowed no deviation whatsoever from his configuration and methodology. If your system of diving deviated in the smallest particular from his you were, by definition, not DIR, probably a stroke, farm animal stupid and likely to get yourself and anyone who dived with you dead. DIR proponents have revised their rhetoric and their approach in recent years. Lately I have seen a much more relaxed interpretation of what is DIR. I have seen many deviations from the original system being used by divers and instructors who claim to be DIR which would never have been allowed by George. Today I find myself (even though I do not claim to be DIR) teaching a style of diving that is closer to the original DIR concept than many of those who claim to be DIR.

I usually just say I'm as DIR as I know how :) (Sorry to crash the thread)

I am relatively new to diving and I'm considering taking the leap and buying my own BC, Regs, Wetsuit, etc. My first dive experience was in Cozumel and I just happened to end up on a boat with a group of divers all diving bp/w. They were all great divers and freely shared advice to me as a NOOB without ever mentioning DIR. After the trip I started to research the identical gear (Halcyon) they all wore and for the first time came upon information about DIR. So I recently read "Doing It Right" and am intrigued with the gear configuration, etc. Does anyone know of any DIR dive shops in the Chicagoland area where I might be able to check out some gear and strike up a discussion with shop about DIR issues? I'm not necessarily looking for a Halcyon specific shop, just any shops that cater to DIR regardless of brand affiliation. Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the shops in and around the Chicagoland area... I've done business a couple times over at Goose's Scuba in Dyer, Ind. and it's a nice shop but I wouldn't necessarily call it "DIR".

That said, let me share my story of lament... I've been active or rather re-activated in scuba for just about 6 years now, taking the "traditional" PADI OW --> AOW --> Tech route and wanted to make sure to pass along what I've learned to date.

If all you want to do is warm water vacation stuff, PADI is fine. If you want to do things better, in all conditions, and manage risk / safety even better than PADI, go directly to DIR... take PADI OW but then get yourself into Fundies and stay the course for DIR/GUE... why you ask?

1) Equipment... I've now changed out equipment 3 or 4 times over... first what I purchased for PADI OW for warm water diving... then a bit nicer and heavier duty for colder water quarry diving around the midwest... then a bit more for this... and finally to more of a DIR configuration... I should have just done the BP/W with proper fins and things from the beginning... avoid the fancy schmancy computers and go with wrist mounted basics of timer and compass with a basic computer... go with a drysuit pretty much straight away... I am now starting to

2) DIR/GUE teaches teamwork, communication, planning and preparedness way beyond what PADI does... makes you a much better diver in a shorter amount of time in my opinion... I've met a few PADI or SSI dive masters and instructors that had terrible trim, planning skills, and experience...

3) Mixed gas / technical diving... it's all in there as the Ragu commercial says... since DIR / GUE is a standardized approach to things in a logically progressive manner... it's in there... there's no separate deco, adv nitrox, trimix, adv trimix classes... it's all part and parcel of the DIR / GUE training and methodology... something that isn't widely advertised or touted as a benefit but in my mind it's a HUGE thing...

So, in short, if I had to do it all over again... I'd pass go, collect my $200 and go right into DIR fundies with a BP/W setup and jet fins with spring straps :wink: :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom