DIR gear without DIR training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that the long hose and a snorkel really don't mix well.

RoatanMan:
You are asking more about a religeon than an equipment arrangement.
Not really, I'm not interested in the KoolAid, at least for now. I just want to know if it would be considered relatively safe for a newbie OW diver to switch to diving with a hog rig without having any specific instruction in its use.

My guess is that diving with a DIR rig wouldn't be all that difficult to learn. Actually, I would expect it to be easier to learn good buoyancy control with a properly configured BP/W setup. As I see it, the problem would be in knowing whether or not the BP/W rig was properly configured. As for the hoses, I would expect that to be even easier to learn.

RoatanMan:
If you want to be a better diver, see what they have to say, understand and perfect their methods and processes, and before you decide to do something different, find and understand something better... that works for you.
I think that's kind of what I'm trying to do. I can see the logic behind most of the DIR gear criteria, and it makes sense to me. I can also appreciate much of the logic behind the whole DIR concept. I certainly wouldn't consider doing any type of advanced diving without DIR (or similar) training. Right now though I don't want to get into anything like that. (Personally, I think people that dive extreme profiles and environments need to have their heads examined. I think they're hooked on the combination of nitrogen narcosis and adrenalin. <g>) As I said, I'm just going to dive for fun, but I'd still like to do it with good, sensible gear.

I very much appreciate your comments. Thanks!

One "difficulty" in only diving 2-3x each year is the muscle memory associated with long hose deployment. I would strongly recommend using a DIR open water rig, which is a 40" hose (you still donate your primary) which just comes under your arm. Your backup is still bungeed around your neck. This will not have the few issues that a long hose would have which become safety issues if your muscle memory does not respond properly, or if you have improperly routed the hose (then it's not deployable)

I know that in Open Water DIR divers are getting away from the 40" hose, but it is still a viable option used by many...

Aloha, Tim

NWGratefulDiver:
The question would best be asked in a different forum, as ... given the OP's stated diving preferences, he is not really looking for a DIR answer, but rather opinions on the advantages of using a Hogarthian configuration for recreational diving.
You are essentially correct about the questions I asked, but who would be better able to answer those questions than DIR people? If the DIR answer is, "No, you shouldn't try to use a DIR rig without proper training." then I would like to know that. If that's the DIR answer, and if they can give me good, logical reasons why I shouldn't, then that would probably alter my thinking.

That said, please feel free to move it if you think that's best.

OE2X:
Since we both live in OR, PM me and I'll see if we can get together depending on how away we live from one another.

I'd also be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Sounds great! I'm at the office right now and need to get some work done. I'll try to PM you some time this evening.

I really appreciate everyone's input. Thanks guys!

I think that strictly from an equipment perspective that anyone would like the configuration no matter how many times per year they dive. It's streamlined and comfortable.

I agree that you should get together with someone using this configuration just to understand some of the practical issues involved.

By the way, DIR is not necessarily synonymous with technical diving or extreme diving. I know many people that enjoy their recreational diving more because of DIR.

However, if all you do is use the equipment configuration it really has very little to do with DIR as a system of diving.

I do not believe that you would experience any difficulties with the gear itself and if you decided to take DIR-F in the future (as you mention you might) you would be ready to go and comfortable with the equipment.

Just my personal 2-cents.

Christian

There is nothing mythical or inherently dangerous about a BP/W configuration- it's not like you've learned to ride a scooter and you're asking if it's safe to buy a 200mph sportbike. It's just a different kind of BC, albeit one that most reading this would agree has many advantages in the water.

Like with any big purchase, you and your wife should really seek out a way to try the gear *before* committing to it. I doubt you'd be anything but pleased, but it's only smart to know what you're getting into. <g>

A mentor is a great way to get introduced to the DIR system, and, not to sound like I'm contradicting myself, I wouldn't want to try to figure out hose routing, gear doff and don, reg donation, and the like on my own. There are really easy ways to do all of these things that won't take more than a pool session or two with another experienced DIR diver to learn.

Taking DIRF or one of the new abridged courses now/coming available is not out of the question for a "vacation diver" at all. I see divers spending money and time on AOW, buoyancy specialty, night diver, etc., but you'll still get at least as much for your money and time with a DIRF course (or again, one of the shorter, non-cert ones).

Cameron

Mick ... since you're in Oregon, perhaps the best option would be to dive with a backplate/wing and long hose configuration ... with someone who knows how to use it properly ... and make up your own mind.

OE2X has offered ... FWIW, his tanks are being held "hostage" in my garage ... :D ... so if you have a week-end sometime to head north, come on up and let's go diving. I've got a spare BP/wing rig and long-hose regulator you can try out ... and either myself or OE2X can give you adequate instruction in how to use it.

Then you can decide for yourself if this style of diving is right for you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom