DIR Gear Cleaning (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AtomicWalrus:
Hard water deposits will screw up your scuba gear as easily as it messes up anything else - probably better to rinse with soft water or distilled water.

Thanks!

just keep diving so it never has time to dry. Easiest and best solution if you ask me.

I know plenty of people here in florida (read: big limestone sponge) dive freshwater and don't rinse equipment. Hey, they bottle it and sell it don't they? Must be good... is the attitude.

Our 'pure' spring water here is very, very hard in terms of lime saturation, owing to the limestone sponge thing. The only possible detriment I could imagine (warning: theorization occurs now) might be to non-evironmentally sealed regs. They gather salt, and I see no reason they wouldn't aquire lime deposits over time.

On the other hand, I've never heard of the above fact being warned, and I've never heard of any agency recommending soft water flushing.

Perhaps the only thing that is certain is that you'll save thousands of dollars over the years on the scuba gear soap if you wash in softened water. :)

Kestrell:
Actually any water will do, it just has to come from a 7' hose. :wink:

I tried a 7' hose and found that it was just a bit short and uncomfortable. It always wanted to route itself in a straight line. I've gone back to the more conventional non kinking recreational 25' garden hose.
:D

Can you use your water heater as the supply sourse?
If so it's a good place to get the water to wash your car with also so you won't have bad spotting and by using the standard low hose bib on your water heater you will be doing your water heater a favor.

if you get your stuff serviced as often as you should there is no worry. most 2. stages act up due to residue (salt, hard water, etc). get it serviced once a year and it should be fine.
what i find is that i can't really get my masks clean due to calcium residue. there's always a white film.
distilled water would prolly be best, but who wants to buy 50 jugs of distilled water to run down the bathtub.

O-ring:
DIR specifies the use of "Evian" to rinse gear.

you know, "evian" spelled backwards is "naive"... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom