DIR Gear Cleaning (?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I really love the specific nature of DIR and I intend to learn someday. Anyway my question is about cleaning gear. Is it better, worse or no different to use soft water? Our water here in San Jose is as hard as it comes (Always fighting the shower doors) and I'm thinking..."What is this doing to my gear?" We recently switched to soft water and I can easily have an outdoor hose bib converted to soft water for gear cleaning. Is it's bennificial? Is there a specific way? Does it matter?

I figured this would be the best place to ask.

Thank You!

DIR specifies the use of "Evian" to rinse gear.

O-ring:

GO Figure :wink:

I would think that with you getting your gear wet again the lime and all the other stuff wouldn't build up to quickly if at all. Also an additive to soak gear in from a LDS might help also.

MechDiver:
Hmm. I thought it was "Sparkling Cave". Do you have reference in JJ's book :wink:
Isn't someone bottling water from ginnie springs? That's probably the preferred brand.

How about DIR gear storage? I guess it depends on how often you dive if you DO dive pretty often I dont think it would be a big deal, but if its easy to switch then go ahead.

MechDiver:
Hmm. I thought it was "Sparkling Cave". Do you have reference in JJ's book :wink:

I think the requirement is actually de-ionized water. The beauty of the gear is that you can count on it to fit a standardized bathtub anywhere you go.

O-ring:

LOL! Very Funny! Seriuosly though our water around here sucks and I don't want it screwing up my gear after I have rinced it and hung it for storage.

CALI68:
LOL! Very Funny! Seriuosly though our water around here sucks and I don't want it screwing up my gear after I have rinced it and hung it for storage.

Hard water deposits will screw up your scuba gear as easily as it messes up anything else - probably better to rinse with soft water or distilled water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom