"DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Archangel:
Also imbalanced lighting 21W with two 10W doesnt fly in the team concept. The 21W washes out the two other beams. Both daytime and nighttime.

I'd disagree with this, I have a 21w and I regularly dive with buddies with 10w lights (both fixed-focuse Dive Rites as well as focusable Salvos/Halcyons).

I've never had my 21w wash out the smaller lights. Heck, I've done day dives with my buddy using my PT LED and it worked fine, even in murky water.

I will agree that three bright 21w lights makes communication easier, however. I also never want to dive with someone with a 35w light.

rjack321:
You don't know how many times I've heard...

"I'm not interested in deeper diving", by someone who's now planning on taking entry technical diving (Tech1)

"I don't need a scooter I like photography", now wants a scooter

"Caves? I'm just trying to be a better diver", now planning on taking Cave1

Being realistic is fine, but if you give the system chance its surprising how you grow into it :wink:

I have no interest in diving deeper than 240 fsw, no interest in anything beyond tech 2, not enough time to devote to get cave 2 certified, will never have the cave experience necessary to DPV in a cave, and have no interest in SCR or CCR rebreathers...

And if the water is murky enough where the 10w can't penetrate, then it's time to go home.

There speaks the Florida diver . . . :)

lamont:
I have no interest in diving deeper than 240 fsw, no interest in anything beyond tech 2, not enough time to devote to get cave 2 certified, will never have the cave experience necessary to DPV in a cave, and have no interest in SCR or CCR rebreathers...

Those weren't on my list smarty drysuit :D

lamont:
... but that's just for this year ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, I'm at the "probably not interested in Tech 1", "Definitely interested in Cave 1", not interested in a scooter phase of life. I'm sure at least one of those will fall within five years . . .

Archangel:
K, let me add that the SINGLE most important piece of equipment is the canister light. As I delve into DIR technical ( I am also farm animal stupid level right now) the 10W HID can is the light of choice. All signaling is done with it at night and macro signaling is done during the day.

Also imbalanced lighting 21W with two 10W doesnt fly in the team concept. The 21W washes out the two other beams. Both daytime and nighttime.

I am currently learning light discipline right now that is a utterly integral piece of equipment.
I'd say the three most important pieces of equipment in order of their importance are a tank, a regulator and a mask. :D

My can light is way down the list, although, it's definetely one of my "favorite" pieces of equipment.

I don't have a problem diving with people who have 10-watt can lights when I use my 21-watt. I do find that I'd rather be in the 2nd or 3rd position in a single file formation if 1 or 2 of the other team mates have a 10-watt. I think that it works better to have the stronger lights in the back with the weaker lights in the front, because as it gets brighter in shallower water, the people in front can see a 21-watt more easily when shining from behind and the people in back can see the actual diver in front of them instead of having to rely on a weaker beam.

That said, I've often been in the first position with the brighter light and just had to concentrate on the 10-watt beam a bit more as I led the team.

I'd say that the 21-watt can light is the current light of choice because if you were to offer the 2 lights at the same price, I think most people would choose the 21-watt over the 10-watt. It's simply more versatile.

Christian

TSandM:
Well, I'm at the "probably not interested in Tech 1", "Definitely interested in Cave 1", not interested in a scooter phase of life. I'm sure at least one of those will fall within five years . . .

No Scooter???? Perhaps you need a refresher course!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom