DIR Fin Compliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeepSeaExplorer:
.... I seriously doubt that any diver with splits can out swim a diver in Jets. If that were the case, cave and tech divers WOULD be using them, instead of completely rejecting them.

Add freedivers, UW hockey players and others to the list. If splits worked so damn good, then those groups would be wearing them.

Split fins very well may be inferior to a set of HBFs*, but based on the knee-jerk reaction most advanced and wanna-ba advanced divers have to them, its more than just the performance aspect of the fins that some divers are averse to. I think a lot of people are scared of showing up on a "serious" dive boat and being taken for a stroke because they are wearing split fins. I also think there are a lot of people who rag on split fins who have never tried them. Its ironic that they poke fun at split fins as being a gimmic, when they in fact are relying on something other than firsthand experience themselves. I think if there wasn't such a stigma against split fins in the DIB** community, then more people would actually use them.

BTW, to the OP, there is nothing against split fins in any of the DIR literature that I've seen. I also know of no restrictions against split fins for any of the GUE classes, or any GUE instructors I've talked with. The main requirement is that you are able to perform the basic five finning techniques capably. I would say the best test for your split fins is to take them to the pool, or OW and practice flutter kicks, frog kicks, modified flutter, modified frog kicks, reverse kicking, and helicopter turns and see how they perform for you. It is the performance that matters, not the look.

*Heavy Black Fins
** Divers in Black

b1gcountry:
Split fins very well may be inferior to a set of HBFs*, but based on the knee-jerk reaction most advanced and wanna-ba advanced divers have to them, its more than just the performance aspect of the fins that some divers are averse to. I think a lot of people are scared of showing up on a "serious" dive boat and being taken for a stroke because they are wearing split fins. I also think there are a lot of people who rag on split fins who have never tried them. Its ironic that they poke fun at split fins as being a gimmic, when they in fact are relying on something other than firsthand experience themselves. I think if there wasn't such a stigma against split fins in the DIB** community, then more people would actually use them.

I started with split fins...they suck. I had about 50 dives with them before I realized this. Most people that I know who don't like them *have* tried them. Do you have any evidence to support your hypothesis? My experience is that advanced divers don't use gear that doesn't work. Split fins just don't work unless you are in open water looking at the fishies.

BTW, to the OP, there is nothing against split fins in any of the DIR literature that I've seen. I also know of no restrictions against split fins for any of the GUE classes, or any GUE instructors I've talked with. The main requirement is that you are able to perform the basic five finning techniques capably. I would say the best test for your split fins is to take them to the pool, or OW and practice flutter kicks, frog kicks, modified flutter, modified frog kicks, reverse kicking, and helicopter turns and see how they perform for you. It is the performance that matters, not the look.

7. Mask and fins: Mask should be low volume; fins should be rigid, non-split

Beyond it being nearly impossible to *efficiently* do frog, reverse, and helicopter turns, split fins create a line entanglement hazard. They are decidedly and without question *not* DIR. GUE will let you do a couple dives with them in Fundies, and after struggling and making a fool of yourself being unable to do the basic skills, will get you a set of Jet fins to try....I've seen it on video in my own DIRF. The difference was amazing. A diver who could not do a reverse kick to save her life switched to a set of Jet fins and all of a sudden could kick better than any one of us.

b1gcountry:

*Heavy Black Fins
** Divers in Black

I have a pair of Scubapro Twin Jet fins selling on Ebay. Do you want to buy them? They are going for $50 right now.

They suck at pushing doubles and stages around, doing a proper frog kick, helicopter kick, and a backward kick. Why? Because they have to much give in the middle of the blade, where your fin catches the majority of the water. There's my first hand experience. :)

I'll stick with Jets.

"8. Mask and fins: Mask should be low volume; fins should be rigid, non-split"

Taken from GUE equipment requirements for Cave 1.(http://www.gue.com/Training/Cave/index.html)

A back kick is essential to holding your position in the water with any sort of precision. As others have stated, splits just don't perform well on that kick. Not to mention, other kicks suffer a bit from them.

Its not about being "DIR compliant" or conforming to GUE's standards. Its about picking the best tool for the job.

When I took cave class, one of the women insisted on trying her split fins. She was in twin 95s and a drysuit. On the swim to the JB entrance, she didn't make it to the darn fence before she was winded and had to stop. I had to surface tow her from the west side of the fence, to the retaining wall by the diving board. Those who know JB know what a haul that is when the person being towed is dead weight in the water with doubles on. I had on jets, and I could move us both but I was tired as hell when I got over there.

When we dove Little River, we had to stop and hover when the lead diver was tying the reel off to the permanent line. I watched her fins sink down onto the line and the line went right into the split of her left fin. She never noticed. I looked over at the instructor and pointed to it. Then I grabbed the line right behind her foot. When she tried to proceed, she nearly ripped the line out even though I had it in my hand. I had to physically remove her fin from the line.

Spilts have no business anywhere around cave or wreck line. They are an entanglement hazard. I can't offer any thing about their performance because I've never tried any. But I am very happy with my jets. And I had AquaLung Blades before that.

I have noticed that one reason people like splits over Jets is because a large majority of the scuba divers out there don't have anything resembling a kicking technique. They don't kick, instead, they just move their feet and throw their feet behind them in the hopes of gaining some propulsion. Maybe splits are good at that -- I have no idea.
I do know that Jets work amazingly well if you have a good kick technique...

Please note power and efficiency are not the same thing. I started using DIR compliant fins (OMS Slipstreams) when I took my Fundies class. For the widest variety of kicks and they are certainly superior. Also their size (and controlled output) helps a diver from stirring up the surrounding environment.

But stroke for stroke (frog or flutter) I can move farther with my Bio's or Atomics. Note with jets or Slipstreams you can complete more strokes in the same unit of time or recoil energy. This is purely mechanics not skill. This is based on the length of and size of the blade and the distance from the fulcrum (knee/ancle) and also the effect of the blade flexing. This is way when equipment suppliers test split fins they show better efficiency.

Soggy:
I started with split fins...they suck. I had about 50 dives with them before I realized this. Most people that I know who don't like them *have* tried them. Do you have any evidence to support your hypothesis? My experience is that advanced divers don't use gear that doesn't work. Split fins just don't work unless you are in open water looking at the fishies.

Whenever I hear someone badmouth Split fins, I ask them if they have ever tried them. I can name six people who have responded no.

Come on! if it took you 50 dives to find out "they sucked" how bad could they really have been. You just found something that worked better, that's all.

For Frog Kicking, I can hands down get more speed with less effort with my splits than I can with turtles. The blades are just too short for me to get any power. I go faster and kick less with my splits.

Backfinning is nowhere near as efficient, but I'm still passable with my splits. As to the Open spaces comment, well, I don't dive in overheads. If I had to back out of tight spots consistently, I very well might switch, but I don't need to so why switch? I will also say this about splits, if you can learn to backfin in them decently, you will pretty much be able to backfin with anything! So my comment to the OP remains: Try out your fins for yourself, if they don't work for you, try something else. Nobody's opinion is as important as your own. When you find out "they Suck" like Soggy says, you will know exactly why, and you will better understand and appreciate your new fins.

Gotta Go! Cheers!
Tom

b1gcountry:
Whenever I hear someone badmouth Split fins, I ask them if they have ever tried them. I can name six people who have responded no.

Those people probably are able to figure out the inherent flaw in the design without *needing* to try them.

Come on! if it took you 50 dives to find out "they sucked" how bad could they really have been. You just found something that worked better, that's all.

I didn't know any better. Now I know better.

For Frog Kicking, I can hands down get more speed with less effort with my splits than I can with turtles. The blades are just too short for me to get any power. I go faster and kick less with my splits.

Yet those who routinely swim double 104s, drysuits, and 2-3 deco bottles choose to use Jet Fins and Turtles? Your experience differs from the majority of the technical diving community. Are all of us just wrong?

Backfinning is nowhere near as efficient, but I'm still passable with my splits. As to the Open spaces comment, well, I don't dive in overheads. If I had to back out of tight spots consistently, I very well might switch, but I don't need to so why switch? I will also say this about splits, if you can learn to backfin in them decently, you will pretty much be able to backfin with anything! So my comment to the OP remains: Try out your fins for yourself, if they don't work for you, try something else. Nobody's opinion is as important as your own. When you find out "they Suck" like Soggy says, you will know exactly why, and you will better understand and appreciate your new fins.

Or...you could just use a known fin that works in every environment and not waste your time and money. :)

I'll believe your backkick when I see it :)

Anyhow, we're in the DIR forum. Split fins are not DIR. The reasons have been given. Those reasons jive with my personal experience with the fins and those of others that I have seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom