DIR Fin Compliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right on man, sounds like the diet is paying off! 1.0-1.2 is way better than 1.8!

rjack321:
Right on man, sounds like the diet is paying off! 1.0-1.2 is way better than 1.8!

Funny you remember that. You are probably right, and I'm in way better cardio shape, I'm running, lifting, rowing and biking tons right now.

I was in doubles this time around, singles last time, but it goes to show how much trim and technique can help. All I could think was "stay streamlined . . . "

I bet Bob's RMV popped all the way up to 0.5 on that dive. I'd rather go swim around at 20 feet then do that dive again, it is no fun to work that hard underwater.

But, I'm probably a wuss.

wunat:
Splits aren't compliant for DIR. At least that will be the case for your training. I know someone who still uses split fin when he is diving (though he is a DIR-trained diver).

Go for the standard Jets, DIR or not!!!

Split fins are not only not "DIR" for training, they are not DIR for diving either -- why bother training to dive one way and then going and diving a totally different way?

here in south florida the gulfstream current can and ussualy is brutal specially on deep wrecks,so frog kicking my way to the anchor line is not going to help. I need to flutter kick and go faster than 3knots or more sometimes.so I use splits for speed. If I was a lake diver or cave diver I probably would use the jets.

Can you perhaps give us any empirical evidence that you were moving faster than 3 knots? I am somehow doubting that.

well , when you get your mask blown of your face hanging like a flag on the line , its very fast. it doesnt hapen all the time but when the gulfstream current is kicking (close to shore), it takes all you effort just to make it to the line. no alternative kicking style just hard core flutter kicking would make any advance against the current, or get blown off the wreck.only divers who dive in south florida know what Im talking about since this is where this current passes closest to shore.

Miami_Diver:
here in south florida the gulfstream current can and ussualy is brutal specially on deep wrecks,so frog kicking my way to the anchor line is not going to help. I need to flutter kick and go faster than 3knots or more sometimes.so I use splits for speed. If I was a lake diver or cave diver I probably would use the jets.

B. to the S.

No one needs to (or can) swim 3 knots.

For reference, 3 knots is 300 ft (a football field) per minute. A Gavin or SS Scooter, at pitch 9, will run about 2-2.5 knots. Without live boating, a 3 knot current is virtually undiveable.

Your theory is proven wrong by the countless successful dives done in your area using jet fins and frog kicks. And no one said that you couldn't flutter kick, especially in mid water.

By the way, have you ever been in the flow at Ginnie Springs? It will probably put your "3 knot current" to shame.

The whole DIR argument aside... Jets deliver more power to the water regardless of the type of kick used. That's why some divers complain that they put too much pressure on their legs or their knees. (The answer to that is to get in shape.) The more power you put to the water, the faster you can swim thru it, at least until drag starts to reduce efficiency. I seriously doubt that any diver with splits can out swim a diver in Jets. If that were the case, cave and tech divers WOULD be using them, instead of completely rejecting them.

DeepSeaExplorer:
The whole DIR argument aside... Jets deliver more power to the water regardless of the type of kick used.

More power in doesn't necessarily mean more power out. I tried out force fins one time and I was kicking like a madman just in order to keep up with my wife, who was swimming slowly, and isn't a very fast swimmer to begin with. If fins don't push the water the right direction, it is just wasted effort.

I tried Turtles one time with a drysuit on, and I wasn't overly impressed, I like this one fin called the ART the best. It is just a stiff bladed fin, but has a kinda funny design where the foot pocket and blade are separate.

I have a pair of splits for wetsuit diving, and they work fine doing four of the five basic kicks. Backwards kicks suffer a little, but I can still get from one end of the pool to the other in reverse. I haven't tried a million different fins, but I got these really cheap ($60) so I thought I would give them a try, and I figured out how to get them to work for me.

As far as entanglement goes, I'm not too sure about that. There is just nothing to snag. What am I missing? I would think the vents on Jet fins would be more likely to get a piece of wreck wedged through them and get fishhooked to the wreck than a pair of split fins...but like I said, I've only dove turtles, and that only once.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom