DIR Fin Compliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo6s

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are Scubapro Twin Jets considered DIR? I can't decide weather to stick with mine or move over to the standard Jets, which everyone seems to love....

elmo6s:
Are Scubapro Twin Jets considered DIR?
Split fins are not acceptable for DIR training, so most people consider them "not DIR". In most cases, split fins do not provide the type of resistance that is necessary to master the various kicks that are taught in a DIR course, and on top of that the split is a major entanglement hazard.

I recommend you try the Jets.

The video review from my Fundies class showed me, without any additional input from my instructor, why an extremely flexible fin like a Razor or split fin is not a good fin for doing non-silting kicks. You need something stiffer, which is why Jets are so popular with not only DIR divers, but cavers, too.

Splits are mostly good at flutter kicking. Jets are so-so at flutter kicks (depending on who you ask and leg strength). IMO DIR divers "give up" some flutter capability for the pluses of Jets or Turtles. There are various pluses but, a good strong frog kick, more control, and backwards capability are highest on my list and way outweight a so-so flutter. I can't remember the last time I kicked from the hip with a straight leg.

You really can't be DIR in splits. Give the Jets a try, they are one of the less expensive peices in the system too.

rjack321:
Splits are mostly good at flutter kicking.
I'd say they're better at getting someone to open their wallet than they are at flutter kicking...Twin Jets are what, $150? $180?
Jets can be had for $65 on Leisurepro.

No, I agree with rjack. It's much easier to flutter kick in splits, and at least I can go faster with them, too. But it's just not something I need to do.

rjack321:
There are various pluses but, a good strong frog kick, more control, and backwards capability are highest on my list and way outweight a so-so flutter. I can't remember the last time I kicked from the hip with a straight leg.

Seems like the OP's question has been answered, I'll add a humorous account from this weekend:

Only time I've wished for splits in the last almost 100 dives is this weekend. I was out being a "buddy" for one of Bob's AOW students. I thought I was going to do the first two dives--both nav dives--and then take off. Bob asked if I could stick around for the third dive to help out with shooting bags (which is kinda ironic considering my underwater macrame reputation).

The first part of that dive is where Bob and the students measure their "working" RMVs, by swimming full-out at 33 feet for five minutes. Plan was for me and Marc to hang back and tag along for this part of the dive. The only issue was that I am diving doubles exclusively lately (fundies coming up) and was therefore in my double 100s. Man, did I wish I had either split fins or a single rig. Talk about exhausting . . . I was like the little puppy that couldn't keep up.

But, who wants to swim that fast anyways? It sure wasn't fun, and I blew through a bunch of gas. At the end of the five minutes all I wanted to do was get negative and snuggle up with the bottom to take a nap, it was tiring just hovering six feet off the bottom.

Leisure Pro is the enemy :) Especially when you can be there on the subway in 10 minutes :) Thanks for the input guys!

elmo6s:
Are Scubapro Twin Jets considered DIR? I can't decide weather to stick with mine or move over to the standard Jets, which everyone seems to love....
Splits aren't compliant for DIR. At least that will be the case for your training. I know someone who still uses split fin when he is diving (though he is a DIR-trained diver).

Go for the standard Jets, DIR or not!!!

dsteding:
I blew through a bunch of gas. At the end of the five minutes all I wanted to do was get negative and snuggle up with the bottom to take a nap, it was tiring just hovering six feet off the bottom.

OK, I just gotta know... how much gas out of the hp100s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom