DIR-F Without DIR gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is thier a point in taking fundies without the correct gear setup?
Either way, once you take the class (whether your gear is borrowed or permitted as it currently is), you'll end up changing your gear over anyway. If you really want to go the fundies route, you might as well start looking at making the switch over before the class so you can take it in your own gear. One of the great things in the class is having the instructor fine tune your kit to conform and fit perfectly for you. He'll switch things, move things around, tighten or loosen things up, make suggestions, maybe even (if it's anything like my class) cut some stuff off.:eyebrow:

If you take a little time, hook up with a local DIR diver or two, talk to an instructor, read the equipment requirements on the GUE site and read through the many posts here on SB about the dir kit, you can switch over to the right stuff the first time. That's what worked for me. I've never needed to replace the original wing, BP, fins and hoses I bought before my class.

A local shop here in the Bay Area was nice enough to loan me a bp/w STA setup for a few weeks. Once in the water it was obvious to me that this was way better (for me), so I switched to the BP. At the same time I fiddled with a necklace backup reg and switched to that. Soon after I found that my split fins were too flimsy so I switched to turtles. I was planning on taking AOW and Rescue from the shop I did OW with, but I read through the material and was really let down (well, I may do it for the rescue class). Anyway, I just heard the shop that loaned me the BP offers 5th DX essentials, so I'm doing that in a month or so.

Anyway, if you can find a way to try the gear, it'll probably sell itself. But what's more important to me is the whole "system"; I'm finding that the more I learn, the more the DIR approach makes sense to me and seems to provide a "bettter" solution for me. The gear and setup is a part of that, but there's more.

Dive safe and have fun.

PS, Jeff, doesn't your cat ever re-load?

7 ft hose and bungied backup.

What about a 5ft hose for single setup?

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will see try and put together the gear first. I dont want to be trying something that from all accounts is a challenge in rented gear. Would much rather be comfortable in at least my gear so I can focus on what I need to be doing.

Very good plan!

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will see try and put together the gear first. I dont want to be trying something that from all accounts is a challenge in rented gear. Would much rather be comfortable in at least my gear so I can focus on what I need to be doing.

Let me know what your schedule looks like and let's see if we can't plan a dive in the next week or so. :)

There you go, two offers for help. You should definitely take them up on it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom