DIR-F Without DIR gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twiddles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is thier a point in taking fundies without the correct gear setup? I ask because after reading about the gear setup I see several similarities and some glaring inconsistencies with my current gear setup. I am concerned that the gear will severely affect trim, and bouyancy and that possibly the skills will need to be re-learned with a different gear set (IE the difference between diving in a wrap-around and a wing took more than 20 dives for me to get used too, still not sure I think its better).

I dont forsee myself using all the DIR gear for some time. I, for example, can find no use for a cannister light at this point in my diving. I use:
Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Buoyancy Compensators - Excursion without the Air XS.,
SCUBA Diving Equipment and gear for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Brass SPG, DIVING » Instruments » Edy Aqua Lung: First to Dive Mares - stand for diving
Mares - stand for diving
List = 7MM Wetsuit and Hood, 5MM Boots, 3MM Gloves, Oceanic Excursion BC (Wing Type), Titan Regulator, DiveRite SPG (Alone on Octo), Cressi-Sub Edi Dive Computer, Mares Volo Fins, Mares X-Vison Mask, Compass on retractable lanyard. (Have but dont carry except for night dives pistol grip light, clip on (mini-mag style)alternate, tank light.

BC is weight integrated so I was going to split weight between belt and BC but in other threads Im hearing this is not a good idea (IE weight belts are bad)?

I am assuming backplate and wing is going to place most of the weight on my back and this is not at all like what my BC or my BC and weight belt would do.

Can't do it without most of the gear, can lights may be optional, but long hose, back plate and the rest are needed.

If you don't see yourself going down the DIR path, there are other options. Breakthru Diving in the Bay Area offers an "Essentials" class that is very similar to GUE-F, and you *may* be able to take it in the gear configuration you are interested in.

Or NAUI Intro to tech, depending on your instructor's requirements.

Is thier a point in taking fundies without the correct gear setup? I ask because after reading about the gear setup I see several similarities and some glaring inconsistencies with my current gear setup.

for GUE's DIR-f class. You will need a non-bungied BP/W. 7 ft hose and bungied backup. Non-split fins. No exceptions.

If you talk to your instructor, you might be able to borrow/rent them if you do not want to buy them.

Or NAUI Intro to tech, depending on your instructor's requirements.

Alot of that is up to the instructors discretion. Mine will do the first set of dives in modified recreational gear but to get the card and complete the course at least the last two must be in full Hogarthian set up. BPW, long hose, no consoles, retractors, etc.

It's less expensive than you think. In fact you might come out ahead if you sell your current stuff. I have changed out my equipment over the last couple of years and bought most all of it used. It cost me very little.

What you need for Fundies and what I paid for mine:
Backplate (old Abyss, but there're all pretty much the same) - $50
Wing (used Halcyon 55# horseshoe) - $100
Long Hose - $30
Fins (used Jets) - $15

So you can get the basics for less than $200. That bc you have looks pretty nice and I bet you could get $200 for that alone. I have a 45# dive-rite wing that I'd let go for $75 if you're interested. It will need a little maintenance, but nothing major at all. Likely won't cost you a dime to get it running again.

As far as the can light - it's the most expensive single piece of equipment you never thought you'd need/want and once you have one you won't like diving without it. I don't know if I'd say worth every penny, cause they're pretty expensive, but once you get used to the passive communication they provide you'll miss knowing where your buddy is and how they are doing at all times without looking at them.

A dry suit is also very nice - more than just the warmth. Can be easier to trim out in and you don't deal with the bouyancy swing issues.

But the can light and dry suit are by no means required for Fundies. You will need a can light for a Fundies tech pass, but not for a Fundies rec pass.

There have been some good posts on Fundies recently as well as several class reports. I would read them and really look at what you like best about diving. Fundies isn't for everyone and DIR certainly isn't for everyone. I am not trying to talk you out if it - it was great for me. But I will caution you that if the kool-aid agrees with you, your whole outlook on diving is likely to change. :D

Hunter

Used can lights can be had for under $400, too. I saw two 10w cans go recently in the classifieds forum for $350 and $315. Almost snatched up one myself, just for a spare.

But they are correct that you cannot take DIR-F in anything less than a bp/w, long hose and non-split fins. (They don't necessarily need to be Jets, but you'll likely be happiest with Jets... any blade-style (non-split) fin will suffice, however... even those you currently have, although you won't be happy with them by the end of the class.)

Is thier a point in taking fundies without the correct gear setup? I ask because after reading about the gear setup I see several similarities and some glaring inconsistencies with my current gear setup. I am concerned that the gear will severely affect trim, and bouyancy and that possibly the skills will need to be re-learned with a different gear set (IE the difference between diving in a wrap-around and a wing took more than 20 dives for me to get used too, still not sure I think its better).

I dont forsee myself using all the DIR gear for some time. I, for example, can find no use for a cannister light at this point in my diving. I use:
Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Buoyancy Compensators - Excursion without the Air XS.,
SCUBA Diving Equipment and gear for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Brass SPG, DIVING » Instruments » Edy Aqua Lung: First to Dive Mares - stand for diving
Mares - stand for diving
List = 7MM Wetsuit and Hood, 5MM Boots, 3MM Gloves, Oceanic Excursion BC (Wing Type), Titan Regulator, DiveRite SPG (Alone on Octo), Cressi-Sub Edi Dive Computer, Mares Volo Fins, Mares X-Vison Mask, Compass on retractable lanyard. (Have but dont carry except for night dives pistol grip light, clip on (mini-mag style)alternate, tank light.

BC is weight integrated so I was going to split weight between belt and BC but in other threads Im hearing this is not a good idea (IE weight belts are bad)?

I am assuming backplate and wing is going to place most of the weight on my back and this is not at all like what my BC or my BC and weight belt would do.

Looks like alot of the stuff you have would be fine for a fundies class. You would need to change your hose configuration (which is pretty cheap), and you would need a BP&W. Just so you know, the "Oceanic Excursion BC (Wing Type)" is not the same thing as a Backplate and Wing. The Excursion is more of a back-inflate BC, intead of a BP&W, and does not fit the DIR description of a BP&W for the fundies class.
Don't feel the need to go spend a ton on gear. You do not have to have a can light, drysuit, etc. to take DIR-F.
You should always talk to your instructor or potential instructor about your gear. It is always a good idea to try and hook up with some other local DIR divers to learn from. Many have extra BP&Ws that you might be able to try. You can find other DIR divers on here and on The Dive Matrix - Scuba Diving Forums, Articles & Travel Directory.
Good luck.

This is the thing about GUE DIR diving . . . You've got to make the commitment, and that means having the minimum required gear for the class. And that's a BP/W, a long hose setup, and non-split fins. Your fins, as far as I can tell, are acceptable, although you may find them too flexible to do the various kicks easily (I replaced the fins I started Fundies in after I saw the first day's video). Hoses are cheap, and setting up a necklace is easy. But the BC is problem, because it's not a BP/W.

I suspect you'd find that your balance would actually be better in a BP/W (or, if you have done the work to balance yourself carefully in your existing gear, it would at the very least be no worse).

If you are unsure about committing to this style of diving, see if you can locate some DIR divers close to you, and do some dives with them. Perhaps borrow a BP/W (most of us have more than one) and dive it and see what you think. There's no rush to do Fundies. Do it when you feel like this is something you really want to pursue. In the meantime, investigate what DIR diving is about. Dive with us and see how we dive and what we do, and decide if you like it enough to make the gear changes.

I borrowed the gear to do Fundies in, and dove it about 20 times before class, and liked it so much it was never returned to the owner (he bought something else with the proceeds; it's how he is).

Take time sorting this out. There's no rush. Be confident about what you want to do, and then you won't second guess your decisions and expenditures.

Edited to say that: If you dive Monterey on any kind of regular basis, you're in luck. There's a big DIR community, both GUE and AG, and there is CERTAINLY someone you can hook up with to borrow gear from, and to dive with to see how everything works. PM me if you want, and I can give you some names of people to contact.

What you need for Fundies and what I paid for mine:
Backplate (old Abyss, but there're all pretty much the same) - $50 [$125 w/harness and STA]
Wing (used Halcyon 55# horseshoe) - $100 [$150 for a good one]
Long Hose - $30
Fins (used Jets) - $15 [$50 is more common]

So you can get the basics for less than $200.
Hunter

That's probably close for the BP and Long Hose, but you need to be lucky and patient to get used Jet Fins in your size for $15. I'd also budget a little more for the wing, and a little more for an STA, since they are so nice. Also, according to the GUE course outline, you can't use any singles wing with lift greater than 50#, so I'd try to find an oxycheq 30 or 45# wing.

As to the OP question, why not look up an instructor or two in your area, and ask them what's up? If you just want the skills, and don't care for the card, then they may be able to hook you up with the same instruction in your current gear. Who cares if its an official DIR-F class if all you want is the training?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom